EMERGENCY!!!! baby turkey won't put weight on leg and other issues!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cowgirl1238, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Cowgirl1238

Cowgirl1238 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    Missouri
    I had a late hatch turkey, hatched this morning, after having had his egg externally pipped for more than 48 hours (I had to help him out a little, but he still did most of the hatching work) he was born with crooked toes. I thought, no problem, I saw stuff on the Internet to make sandals for him and they will straighten out. Before I could do that though, he ended up with what looked and he acted like a splayed/spraddled leg. But not out to the side, it was like front to back, if that makes sense. It was like he couldn't put them under his body, it was stretched out behind him all the time, and he would scoot around on his belly or side with the good leg. Well now he won't even put weight on it, and the joint where the feathers meet leg (knee I guess?) is slightly swollen!! He won't put weight on it and sometimes it quivers for a few seconds at a time. Poor baby. Someone please help us! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. austria89

austria89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Austria
  3. Cowgirl1238

Sep 28, 2015
    Missouri
    Thank you so much austria89! It is a slipped tendon [​IMG] I can pop it back into place but as soon as I let go of the leg, it pops back out! I'm gonna wrap it in the thin strips of vet wrap, and the link you gave me mentioned putting the chick in a sling, to prevent movement and keep weight off the leg. Have you done any of that before?? What's the best way to go about all this??

4. austria89

austria89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Austria
    I had in the last few years some chicks with spraddle legs. Unfortunately, only a few of them have made it.[​IMG]
    The biggest problem is to fixate the legs correctly, because they're always moving. It's really challenging.

I normally use sports tape to bring the legs into position.

Like this:

[​IMG]

I wish you and your little birdy the best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cowgirl1238

Sep 28, 2015
    Missouri
    Thank you so much! It doesn't really seem to need the tape to keep them together, but definitely needs a brace to fix that tendon. I made a sling out of a sock and the little stinker kept getting out of it, and his feet weren't even touching the ground!! [​IMG] Good grief, lol! Now I have to get creative, lol. He needs to get off that bad leg so it can heal. Thanks again for all your help! [​IMG]

6. Cowgirl1238

Sep 28, 2015
    Missouri
    Need more help :(
    Well I put him in a sling, he absolutely hates it. Keeps kicking and stuff, am I doing more harm than good? He would rather be held, lol! I can't put a wrap on his leg yet because when he kicks the tendon pops out of place again! :( and what can I do to encourage him to eat more? He's hardly eaten a few nibbles in a long time

7. Cowgirl1238

Sep 28, 2015
    Missouri
    Never mind about the sling. I took him out, decided to try and wrap his leg. Tendon wouldn't stay put, and when I unwrapped his leg (it wasn't very tight at all, and I used vet wrap) his swollen hock started bleeding. Which would make sense because it has a red tone to it and the other leg doesn't. Why would it be filled with blood?!?! :'(

8. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @casportpony
    you may have to take it loosly and make a chick chair. Some people use a cup. There is some information and examples on this in the notes section on page one of the Incubating with friends thread(check new posts oner 110000 posts to help you find it). You will have to keep it in somehow or if it does not stay till the swelling is down the leg won't heal. I was not successful because I am not around enough to keep mine off it for a day or two. You can try the rubber band and straw method. The tape can cause the bruising if they keep pulling it off. You will need to keep it company or get it a mirror beside it in the brooder so he stays warm and has 'company.'
    :fl.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  9. Cowgirl1238

Sep 28, 2015
    Missouri
    That's the thing, he kicks violently every 10 seconds or less (I counted) while in the sling, which makes the tendon go back to the side of his hock :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by