Emergency! Believed Egg-binding------Hen passed away this evening.----

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lyssagpsn, Jun 28, 2010.

1. lyssagpsn

lyssagpsn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    There wasn't much else we could do, Andi passed away this evening.
    We're looking in to having a necropsy done to make sure it wasn't something more serious. Thanks to those who helped. I'm very thankful for BYC... [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Bantam EE, about four years old, seems to be about average weight, doesn't seem to have lost any.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Andi is waddling and having trouble walking, stands bowlegged, refuses to eat, drinks continuously, and won't sit because she is in pain. Acts extremely lethargic, just standing with her feathers puffed up.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Only today, yesterday she was fine. She hasn't laid an egg in two days.
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No external injury.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    None that I know of. Hasn't laid eggs in two days.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She's been drinking plain water, but hasn't eaten anything to my knowledge.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    She has only pooped twice in the past 24 hours, once clear, the other time a thick, whitish fluid.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    No treatment thus far.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I'd prefer treating her myself, but if it is beyond my treatment, I'll take her to a vet.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    We use pine shavings in their coop, cleaned out regularly. The flock free ranges in our yard, otherwise.

Any help or advice you can give would be really helpful!
    Andi is my favorite hen, and it would be awful to lose her! [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    My Coop
    Feel her vent area & see if you can feel an egg stuck inside her. Sometimes you can lube her up & gently pull it out without it breaking. That's the first thing I would check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by