Emergency! Bent Knees/Joints

robmcsched

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
My three-week old silver-laced wyandotte pullet has legs bent the wrong way--almost like a knock-kneed person. Legs bending in towards each other. She is one of five chicks and I removed her into an isolated cage for now. I'm not sure if a splint or vitamins are in order?

Thanks,

robmcsched

Sorry, no pic. It's the knee joint bent the wrong way...the joints seem a tiny bit swollen...I've read some other sites and am trying bird vitamins I was able to get at my local F&S. They didn't have anything specifically for chickens.

The chick is getting around slowly and wants to eat with the other birds...I tried to isolate her with her own food and water, but she managed to hop out of the container. So, given it could be some deficiency, they are all getting vitamins & mineral supplement in their water.

When my hubby comes home, I might try making a splint with bandaids. Any other suggestions from anyone would be welcome, thanks!

R

Sounds like Perosis(slipped tendon) caused by a deficiency of manganese. the slipped tendon occurs in young birds. in adult laying hens the legs are not affected but egg production will drop, shells will be thin and embronic death causes poor hatchability.
There is no treatment for birds already affected, but a correction in the diet will prevent new cases.You need to give a mineral-vitamin supplement for 3 to 5 days to the rest of the chicks

Thanks! I'm giving both a vitamin and mineral supplement. I've been feeding my own organic diet, so I have to review my ingredients and figure out where I've gone wrong. My hens are laying nicely, although about a week ago there was one egg with a thin shell. I've read that can be normal everyone so often--it's only happened once.

Does anyone out there happen to know what grains are high in maganese? I've been trying to keep the flock organic with no soy.

robmcsched

Back
Top Bottom