1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emergency -- big white duck attacked by raccoon, how to care for her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmerbetsy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Farmerbetsy

Farmerbetsy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2007
    The g-d, m-f, bloody stinking raccoon got into the pen again. My husband neglected to put the girls to bed and at 9:30 sent me out. The raccoon was in the tree so I had a satisfying moment of hurling invective and sticks at it, and then it was gone. The hens were in the coop, and the duck must have been as well. Her head is covered in blood and she is all bedraggled. She went deep into the pen where no one can reach her. If she is still alive in the morning, what do we do for her?

she did waddle into the pen all by herself with a slight detour behind the gate. not her usual self. Poor sweet thing. [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    OMG Betsy I wish I could help, my baby duck got attacked by something tonight but I don't know what. My Pyrenees was going nuts and when I went out to check he was laying by the baby duck and it's back is just a mess. Mozart was growling into the dark areas and I have a feeling it might have been a coyote. It didn't bother anything else though. I'll be watching to see what everyone tells you to do, I've got my little one here in the office (home office) with me.
    K

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The sooner you can get to her the better. Flush the wounds out with saline and if they are lare, antibiotics would be a good idea in this situation due to risk of infection. Try to post pics if you can so we can see the extent of the damage and go from there.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:I agree...separate her to a clean temp stable (warm) environment as soon as possible!

5. Farmerbetsy

Farmerbetsy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2007
    She is floating calmly in the absolute middle of her pond, and she laid an egg! I think both of those are good signs.

HOW do I rinse her with saline, exactly?

What antibiotics do I give, and how? I thought maybe if I could catch her and rub neosporin on the wounds that might be sufficient, if the wounds are superficial.

I will post photos as soon as I can.

To his credit hubby went out at 2 am and scared off 4 more raccoons in and around the enclosure (outside the pen).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You need to get her off the pond and examine her.
    The egg was in "transit" from yesterday, so that is no indication of all being well.
    Waterfowl are very good at hiding injury. This is a survial instinct. A predator will go after the weakest first, so just that she is in the center of the pond means she is protecting herself.
    Look at her wounds and clean them with warm saline. Take good clear well focussed pics if you can and post them so we can help further.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* FOUR MORE Racoons!!! GOOD GRIEF!! Sounds like you need to make a winter coat or Thin the herd somehow. . .Put birth control in the trash cans?????? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Ouch! Poor girl. I hope someone will give you some advice. I hope she heals up soon

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    That poor duck, I wish I knew what to tell you about the saline, I'd like to know myself. Can you check under her feathers on the neck? I would go to the vet, I'd be too shaken to properly care for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by