bird asleep in coop, might have gotten too cold

Foul.. I have read that really foul or sour smelling breath indicates sour crop or illness
Define foul? Just smelled, and it doesn’t smell *pleasant* but it isn’t revolting. Smells like the feed they eat and general chicken smells. In fairness, this one has been skipping at night when we have our birds “brush their beaks” (joking of course lol). He has tried to stand up once, and is still getting more energy. However, he doesn’t stay awake for too long

Define foul? Just smelled, and it doesn’t smell *pleasant* but it isn’t revolting. Smells like the feed they eat and general chicken smells. In fairness, this one has been skipping at night when we have our birds “brush their beaks” (joking of course lol). He has tried to stand up once, and is still getting more energy. However, he doesn’t stay awake for too long
Hmmm.... if it isn't revolting and just smells like normal chicken food ect it's probably fine. Wht do you mean by 'this one has been skipping at night when we have our birds “brush their beaks”. If he has tried to stand up ect then he seems to be getting better. I'd make up some sugar water in a syringe and administer it in his beak (BUT MAKE SURE HE SWALLOWS and is awake, don't want to drown him!)

Hmmm.... if it isn't revolting and just smells like normal chicken food ect it's probably fine. Wht do you mean by 'this one has been skipping at night when we have our birds “brush their beaks”. If he has tried to stand up ect then he seems to be getting better. I'd make up some sugar water in a syringe and administer it in his beak (BUT MAKE SURE HE SWALLOWS and is awake, don't want to drown him!)
I was joking about the beak thing, bad breath b/c he doesn’t brush his beak. He is standing up more and more and staying awake longer. I think he is getting better, and I’ll try to give him food and water. Thanks!

I was joking about the beak thing, bad breath b/c he doesn’t brush his beak. He is standing up more and more and staying awake longer. I think he is getting better, and I’ll try to give him food and water. Thanks!
Ah ok... I take things a bit literally sometimes!!! :D Glad to hear it... he may have just been cold... normally being ill isn't solved by these sorts of thing. If he needs it do the thing such as sugar water or an electrolyte drink for a bit of energy and some nutrients. If this continues to occur he is probably ill. Is his comb wattle face ect still dark in areas?

Push fluids with vitamins and electrolytes if you have them. What does his crop feel like? You can encourage his appetite with a bit of wet feed made into a mash and scrambled eggs. Is he eating at all? What do his poops look like?

Even if he starts acting better, there’s still something going on. Those temperatures shouldn’t affect a healthy chicken like that. Feel his keel to check his weight! If it’s very sharp he would get cold but there’s definitely something wrong with it.

I cant really help. But definately keep him away from the other birds.... is he shivering? A bluey purple comb can be a sign of cyanide poising, but if he had that he'd probably be dead already... Probably frostbite? Keep that heat lamp on him give him warm water and food.
Poisoning is highly unlikely; and unless temps have consistently been below freezing then that’s not frostbite.

I disagree about keeping the heat lamp on him. That’s too much of a temp extreme variation as the bird was not suffering from being too cold or frostbite (37 is way too warm for that, unless the chicken is featherless). I would just separate her and keep an eye - but heat lamp is probably too much.

Back
Top Bottom