EMERGENCY BLOATED SILKIE POSSIBLY Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KiwiPomegranate, Apr 1, 2017.

1. KiwiPomegranate

KiwiPomegranate Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    coloRADo
    Hello, my silkie hen who is 4 years old seems bloated and possibly spraddled her legs (or it's just added weight). I was gone on a 2wk vacation and had family and friends watch my chickens. When I checked on my silkie she had trouble getting up this morning and she still does. When she attempts to walk she falls over. Also, she did have a good amount of poo stuck on her bum however i did take it off easily, it crumbled right off. I added electrolytes to her water, but I'm not sure what is really wrong with her. Can someone please help guess what may have caused this and what this is? Thank You.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet?
    Any photos?
    Where is she bloated - abdomen, crop ?
    Is she pooping?

Bloated abdomen could be internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors. Supportive care is usually the course of treatment (vitamins, keeping her hydrated and fed). If it is any of the above, then antibiotics from your vet may help short term if caught early.

You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to see if this gives her some relief. Try to keep her hydrated.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by