emmsx3

Chirping
Nov 30, 2019
This morning I found a dropping from one of my three baby chicks. Not sure if its intestinal lining and I don't know who did it but 2 of my baby chicks make a month in a few days and the youngest one is about 1-2 weeks old. I have the 2 on medicated feed that has the amprolium in it since they were born and the youngest one was given to us when she was found abandoned so she's been on it for about only a week. So far they show no symptoms of coccidiosis (like lethargy, ruffled feathers, etc) but finding 2 of the droppings with that bit of red in it worries me. I lost a baby chick last year to this and I don't want to lose any of these baby chicks again. I have the Corid liquid solution if that's something I have to use to treat them now if they do have it but I don't know if I should give it to them just like that or put it in their water for treatment. And since I don't know which baby chick has it, should i just treat them all or separate them. I was hoping the medicated feed would prevent them from getting it. What should I do? Please help!

Also note, I did give them new bedding which were aspen wood shavings because since they were born I had them on a regular pad. They did eat a lot of those wood aspen shavings so I had to take those away. Could that also be a reason why they have a bloody stool? I know yesterday they did have a very brown loose stools. So far they are eating and drinking normally.

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

Last edited:
It's more than likely intestinal lining. But since you have the Corid, go ahead and mix up some in their water bottle. Better to be safe than sorry.

Half a teaspoon in a quart of water mixed fresh daily for five days. Wait seven days and treat another five days.

Don't give any B vitamins during the treatment period.

Watch the poop for any more signs of blood or intestinal lining. Sometimes intestinal lining shedding is a sign of intestinal inflammation if you see a lot of it. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Don't worry about that for now.

It's more than likely intestinal lining. But since you have the Corid, go ahead and mix up some in their water bottle. Better to be safe than sorry.

Half a teaspoon in a quart of water mixed fresh daily for five days. Wait seven days and treat another five days.

Don't give any B vitamins during the treatment period.

Watch the poop for any more signs of blood or intestinal lining. Sometimes intestinal lining shedding is a sign of intestinal inflammation if you see a lot of it. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Don't worry about that for now.

Okay thank you. So far that was the only "bloody stool" I've seen since this morning and all of them are eating and drinking normally. Also I noticed my roo's feather's are balding. I'm not sure if he's the one that is sick but is that normal as well?

Also should I just treat them all even though the other 2 baby chicks are not sick?

Yes, treat everyone, including the rooster and any adult flock. Corid is so simple, safe, and easy, it's always best to go ahead and treat for coccidiosis if you suspect it.

Back
Top Bottom