EMERGENCY: Broody killed all chicks but one egg. Still hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LittleBoPeep1, Oct 14, 2018.

1. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Songster

Mar 12, 2015
    I have a broody hen that just killed all her chicks but one egg what should I do???? The egg was left alone, and when I tried to put it back under her, it was chirping. It was not sat on for five minutes and jostled around quite a bit.Right now it is not chirping when moved and she is sitting on it and I am watching her....
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

KW2004, DobieLover and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may still hatch, and if it does you will probably have to take it from her. I would never use this hen to hatch chicks in the future. Nor would I use any of her daughters in a breeding program.

3. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Songster

Mar 12, 2015
    Thank you for your response!!! I have an incubator, should I put it in there? If so, does anyone know with what temp and should I also add a wet sponge for humidity?

hillbilly91 and Rose Quartz like this.
  4. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Crossing the Road

99.5 F with forced air 102F with still air. 60% - 70% humidity. If you dont have a hygrometer to chech what the humidity is then yes add a sponge near but nit touching the egg.

ChickNanny13 and sourland like this.
  5. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Songster

Mar 12, 2015
    image.jpg
    Thanks again for the responses! This is the incubator I have. I think still air?? It will take a little while to heat up. Is that okay? Should I just leave the egg under the broody and keep an eye on her?

6. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Crossing the Road

yeah you're going to have to wait until it's at least 95F once you do get it up to temp take the red plugs out too.

sourland likes this.
  7. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Songster

Mar 12, 2015
    Oh thank you! I’ve never even had to use it before! Update: when I gently picked up the egg, it was still chirping!

Rose Quartz likes this.
  8. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    After you hopefully hatch the chick I would immediately kill the hen. I’ve had that happen a few times over the years and the hens were immediately killed.

Peeperscreepers and ChickNanny13 like this.
  9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Is this the first time hatch for this broody? Agree with the rest, she should not be used to breed, don't keep any of her chicks, her eggs for eating only or freezer camp.

10. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Songster

Mar 12, 2015
    This is their first time. There were actually two moms and I believe both killed the chicks ...I guess they will both be for egg production from now on...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: