EMERGENCY- Bubbles/blisters on ducklings feet--HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samuelsonfarm, Jan 26, 2014.

1. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Help!
    I noticed this evening that both of my 8wk ducklings have huge baloon looking webbing on their feet. It is warm to touch, and pretty puffy, looks fluid filled. They are both walking fine, dispite what looks to me like a very severe infection. Has anyone experienced this? THeir current housing is in a large plastic tub lined with clean towels, or in the bathtub where they eat and drink. They also have free time to roam the house during the day. On our black duck I can see a dime sized lesion on the top of the foot that is swollen. On the fawn and white runner, both feet are very swollen, they look like blisters. I did not notice this problem this morning, and I'm sure I would have seen it since I cuddle with them every day. I'm thinking infection since they share a box? I may put them in separate boxes tonight so they don't cros-contaminate more.

Should I use neosporin on it? I gave them a bath in warm water (which is normal routine) is there anything else I should do? ACV?

Thank you, I'm totally panicked over here!

Donna

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Breathe.

I haven't seen this before, hope someone who has checks in.

But I can say, Epsom salt compresses (don't let them drink Epsom salt solution - it is a laxative) can reduce swelling. I would use lukewarm to cool water, dissolve E.s. in it, soak it up in a clean cloth and wrap the feet. Hold that for several minutes.

Has anyone washed a rug lately, or used some kind of cleanser on the floor? It feels to me like it could be contact dermatitis, so I would not let them roam the house for now.

3. samuelsonfarm

May 27, 2013
    OK, here's what I did so far: Warm bath, dried feet thoroughly. Applied neosporin, and small children's socks to each foot on the runner. I don't know how long they will last, but at least they will not be stepping in their own feces overnight. I'll probably get up and change the socks and towels in the night. I will do an epsom salt compress in the AM.

I noticed that the skin is sort of flaking off. It is most noticable on the black duck, since she has dark skin. I made sure it was really dry when I got her out of the tub. She was not as cooperative so she doesn't have socks on yet, but I'm determined to get some on her! They really don't seem to be in much pain, if they are, they're not letting on. They are walking on the feet with no limp or anything. I hope this is just a minor infection that will clear up on it's own. I hate to see my babies unhealthy!

Anyone else that has anything to contribute it would be greatly appreciated!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Pulling for you! Glad you are attentive and proactive!

You might try the Emergencies forum also, though I must say sometimes duck folks get much better response on the duck forum. Just an idea for your consideration. I tend to just monitor the Duck Forum.

5. samuelsonfarm

May 27, 2013
    Well, I was horrified to find out what I think is the cause of the blisters. My husband informed me that yesterday our 1yr old son turned on the hot water in the tub while the ducks were in there. It must have burned their little feet. I feel so awful. #1 that my son was able to turn on the hot water, and could have scalded himself badly, and #2, these poor ducks have suffered because of our negligence.

The black duck (Paprika) looks much better today, and the swelling is nearly gone. She is walking, eating and drinking like normal. Looks like she will make a full recovery. Our little runner Raspberry is not doing as well. Her tender little webs are still very blistered and she is not walking today. I see no sign of infection or blood, just look like fluid filled balloons between each toe. I feel terrible. I hope that she is able to pull through this. Poor baby.

In light of this new realization, is there anything differnt I should do for what looks like must be burn blisters?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Treat the feet for burns - you can probably use this as a guide

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...atment-for-second-degree-burns-topic-overview

If you can get them to a vet, do so.

Be sure they get vitamins with electrolytes. Keep bedding as immaculate as you can. I know. Big challenge. But I feel they can be okay if you can prevent shock - or treat it - and infection setting in.

Thank you for sharing the details. It is helpful information.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. samuelsonfarm

May 27, 2013
    I'm ashamed to share, but I hope it will prevent this from happening to anyone else.

I've been changing towels in their boxes all day. I'm wondering if shavings woud be better because they might be drier? I don't want to puncture the blisters, towels are very soft. We are going to continue to treat and if i don't see anybimprovementbon little raspberry, I may have to call Dr. Pol! Not really, he lives too far away even though we are in Michigan. If love to meet him somedag, he's my hero!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The shaving might open the blisters. I'd continue with towels for now. I was thinking maybe buy some Veterycin and once the blister open start spraying her lil feet with this spray it is for the treatment of wounds and infections. Hope she comes through this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. samuelsonfarm

May 27, 2013
    Thanks for the well wishes Lydia. Where would find this magical spray? Veterinarian?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by