Emergency - Bumblefoot Help!

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Cross posting here too, because TSC closes in two hours -
Long story short, one of my girls (1YO Black Swedish Duck, 6lbs) was on the tail end of dealing with a case of bumblefoot--this morning she was fine, and about an hour ago I found her limping and her right leg is extremely swollen and hot. She's currently soaking in an epsom salt bath and I've ordered fish-mox but it won't get here until later in the week. My vet account was just drained doing yearly checkups for my dogs, so is there anything else I can do for her before then?

I've been reading about Duramycin, any thoughts? Or try some holistic things until the fish-mox arrives? Thanks in advance!

Pictures of the bumblefoot might help. I would start out with some soaking of the feet in warm Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Grocery stores and pharmacies sell plain Epsom salts. Then you may want to pick up a disposable scalpel and blades from tsc. Those are sometimes found in the goat or cattle supplies. 2x2 gauze pads, betadine or chlorhexidene for disinfecting, and a roll of vet wrap that can be cut into strips for bandaging the feet. Plain neosporin ointment can be applied to the foot after removing scab. Soaking can help losen the scab, and then it may be necessary to cut the scab if the solid core does not come out. Here is a good bumblefoot article:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Oh yeah I've been doing all that for a week, which is why I'm surprised her leg kind of exploded today. All her swelling had gone away and the scab was tiny, like the 1/4 the size pea and not at all raised.

I'll grab a picture of her foot and leg currently though.

She still has tiny bits of swelling where her bumbles are, but they're miles down from what they were at the beginning of the week. I cannot find anything where the main swelling is on the one toe that's the worst, I'm almost wondering if she broke it?

Attachments

• susan-foot-1.jpeg
    susan-foot-1.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-3331.jpg
    IMG-3331.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-3332.jpg
    IMG-3332.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom