emergency can someone help chicken nearly dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbuddha09, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    found my chicken on the coop floor laying there i thought she was dead but she is barely breathing im trying to recuscitate her thought maybe it was cold i have no idea but she can barely move at all.

2. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    well now she died and i still dont know why she felt warm i dont think she got too cold or anything im just not sure what happened...

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about losing your hen. Look her over, possibly do a necropsy on her body. It could be almost anything from egg binding, a heart problem, crop or gizzard blockage, or many other things. Look inside her abdomen for worms inside the intestines, an egg stuck inside the vent, or anything unusual with her liver color. Your state vet could probably give you a diagnosis, if you sent the body in. Here is the address and contact info for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    So sorry :( There are so many reasons that can happen. Without a necropsy, you'll probably never know.....Just watch the others for any sign of ANYTHING so you can research symptoms asap. Chickens try to hide their illness till the end so sometimes it's hard or too late to figure it out. Hope it was just a one bird thing.....

5. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    well i know for a fact it wasnt an egg problem since shes not even old enough to lay yet. being a silky its hard for me to see if its something on the surface too because the skin is so dark. Just trying to see if i can work myself up to dissecting her. i had another die a few weeks back i assumed it was from the cold because we had one very cold night here and he wasnt adjusting to his change of environment, also he was a frizzle japanese who didnt want to roost with the other hens, but maybe it was something else. would any kind of mites kill at that early of an age as well i just dont want the others to die.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she was young, coccidiosis could be a problem. They will usually show symptoms of weakness, lethargy, puffing up, not eating, and diarrhea, sometimes with blood. Corid/amprollium will treat that in the flock. It can be quite common to loose a hen just as they mature from heart problems or egg binding with a first egg.

7. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    well to be safe im taking in another chicken from the same breeder to the vet tomorrow if they have openings. i did notice one had leg mites but it was after i bought them and i treated for them a couple of times. the strange thing is that every day she was the first to eat always friendly what seemed like a happy bird, but i do realize one day she had trouble drinking water i assumed because she had ate so much food there was just no more room but i wonder now if that was a sign. she wanted to drink the water she just couldnt get it down to her gut.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That sounds like crop bound. Do you still have the body? You could do a necropsy.

9. bigbuddha09

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    i do what would i look for if she was crop bound?

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the crop is full but the rest of her digestive tract is empty then I would suspect crop bound. Cut open her intestines to see what you find. Look closely at her liver. You can google necropsy pictures and compare her organs with what you find. Or you can take pictures and post them for site members to look at. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by