Emergency care for duck after neck surgery

Urbanpoultry

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
I am new to keeping poultry so have been trying to read as much as possible whilst learning as I go. The dreaded fox got into my garden while they were out and got one of my ducks and tore the others throat. The pen is fox proud but they were out The vet has stitched it back but I am now trying to find out info about aftercare. She was given antibiotics should I treat the would with a solution should she be put back in the run with the others.she is walking just but having great difficulty moving her head. She has had a drink of water but not yet eaten. It was yesterday it happened. Your comments and suggestions would be most welcome to a new poultry keeper. Many thanks

welcome-byc.gif
I think the best place to post this question is in the Emergencies section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures best of luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry to hear about your injured duck.
hugs.gif
I would definitely post about her in the Emergencies section of the forums--people there should be able to help.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your duck! Hopefully, the people in the Emergencies section can help you out.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh, I hope your baby is going to be ok. Is she were my bird, I would keep her separate from the flock for a couple days. Keep her in a warm dry place and then introduce her in a cage for another few days so when she does go into the flock, she made the move in slowly.

Good luck with your baby and I hope she makes a full recovery.
hugs.gif

I would keep her away from the others, till she heals somewhat - otherwise, she may suffer more harm. Are you from UK? We have UK threads on BYC, where you can discuss matters with someone in your own area who may know the names used for antibiotics in your country - as opposed to what they are called here (US). I know fox seem to be the dominant predator In UK. Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock.

Back
Top Bottom