Emergency care for duck after neck surgery

Urbanpoultry

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Urbanpoultry

I am new to keeping poultry so have been trying to read as much as possible whilst learning as I go. The dreaded fox got into my garden while they were out and got one of my ducks and tore the others throat. The pen is fox proud but they were out The vet has stitched it back but I am now trying to find out info about aftercare. She was given antibiotics should I treat the would with a solution should she be put back in the run with the others.she is walking just but having great difficulty moving her head. She has had a drink of water but not yet eaten. It was yesterday it happened. Your comments and suggestions would be most welcome to a new poultry keeper. Many thanks

For now, keep the wound open and clean. Keep her separated from other birds and definitely away from any areas where she might come in contact with flies. The antibiotics should help reduce infection. You may also have to be careful if you use shavings, as they can sometimes stick to the wound area. Birds also tend to heal better if they are kept in dry, dark, quiet areas.

She should heal up just fine though. The fact that she is drinking water is a good sign. It may take her a day or two to eat food again but don't be too worried about it. She is probably still recovering from the anesthesia.

Anyway, best of luck to you and her! I'm glad she was able to make it through and I'm glad you were able to find a vet to help fix her up! Birds have an amazing capacity to heal from traumatic events.

Back
Top Bottom