Emergency: chick gone downhill very fast!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fraoch21, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I have a quail chick that hatched yesterday and looked very healthy, but has suddenly gone downhill in the last 2 hours. I noticed it was making quite a lot of sudden noises and it soon became lethargic and sleepy. I tried picking it up and giving it some sugar water and I think it managed to drink some. It was breathing very fast and would lie with its eyes closed making noises the whole time like it was in pain or something? Ive put it back into the incubator where there is another newly hatched chick but it has gotten worse and now doesnt make any movement or sound, its completely floppy and still lethargic.
    Please help, ive already had one chick from this hatch die because it was very weak.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i am sorry, i hope someone can help

3. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Sadly it died a while ago, there is another chick breathing slightly faster than normal so I'm a little worried about it. Any idea what it is?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it. It may have just been weak. Quail are very delicate.

5. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Yes, I do sometimes lose a chick or two from being weak. But I thought this was odd because it was strong and healthy for the first 24 hours and then became weak.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Ive got another poorly one now.It was weak last night so I gave it some sugar water and put it back in the incubator overnight. This morning it seemed better so I took it out and put it in with the rest but it has gradually become worse again. It had a slightly pasty vent which I cleaned but it also has two small lumps beside its vent. Its legs are a darker purple than the others and it has an odd neck twitch, if that helps.
    It is now in a small tub by itself under the heat lamp and its shaking quite a bit. Should I put it back in the incubator or leave it where it can see the other chicks?

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it was doing better in the bator, put it back until you figure out whats going on. have you checked the temp. in the brooder? can you give them save-a-chick? perhaps the parent was low on a vitamin ? wry neck can be caused by needing some vitamin, i dont know . hope someone helps you.

8. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I havent checked the temperature in the brooder but im toldthat its right when the chicks lie just around the light, so they arent huddled and they arent as far as possible from the light.The rest of the chicks are fine and not cold so I assume the temperature is alright.
    Thankfully the chick seems to be showing signs of improvement. I actually moved it a but closer to the light and its stopped shaking and it is now drinking eagerly from dops of sugar water on my finger. Hope this means its getting better.
    Do you suggest still moving it back into the incubator or leaving it where it is?

Also is there any household supplements i can give it, cod liver oil or something? Theres no way I can get hold any supplements for a couple of days now

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    do you have any Gatorade? thats about whats in the sav-a-chick. if not then no just continue with what your doing now. you can take the thermometer out of your bator for a min. and check the brooder?with my chicks when they dont do so well i give them about 4 tsp. sugar in 4oz. baby bottle warm water.it doesnt need any type of oil. get a couple drops of the sugar water down about every hour or so.[​IMG]

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    purple is oxygen, maybe heart related or stress? like i said i am not familiar with quail but they cant be that different can they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by