Emergency - Chick hatched yesterday and is gasping for air (possible deformity?)

IronEagle

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Hawi, Hawaii
This little Tolbunt Polish Frizzle hatched yesterday mid-morning. She is very, very tiny and has a strange looking nostril area on her beak that I do not know if it's normal. We've left her in the incubator and she's been sort of a lump, which I know is pretty normal for a couple of days. I wouldn't think much of it except today she appears to be intermittently gasping for air and I noticed that the deformity may be that she doesn't have nostrils? I am not too familiar with this type of chicken so I'm not sure if this is how they normally look but I've never seen something like this. I held a needleless syringe to her beak and she drank a small drop of sugar water but aside from that she doesn't move much or open her eyes - just random gasping every few minutes (not constantly).

She had two hatch mates that hatched 48 hours early and are already under the heat plate and eating/drinking normally.

Hoping for some feedback or advice if there is anything I should do.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Chicken Best.jpg
    Chicken Best.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Chicken 1.jpg
    Chicken 1.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 5
Her cere does look some what abnormal... While it could be that, i would say to look into brooder pneumonia, as symptoms seem to match.
I wish you the best of luck with this chick and hope that you found this information helpful.

Back
Top Bottom