Emergency chick help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eyeofskye, Sep 11, 2011.

1. eyeofskye

eyeofskye Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    Just joined so a bit cheeky to ask for help so soon but it is an emergency.

We lost a hen for some weeks and only found her when I happened to hear cheeping coming from the neighbour's bracken jungle. By the time we found the girl there were only two, comatose, hypothermic chicks. I fired up the incubator and brought them round but at the end of the first day the weaker one gave up and died.

The second one, although drinking alright, cannot be persuaded to eat chick crumbs after 3 days. The only way I'm keeping it alive is feeding it liquid egg yolk from a tiny tube on the end of a syringe. When I try dropping chick crumbs in front of it, make the clucking sounds and push the crumbs around all it does is look confused or try to climb into my hand to go to sleep.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to get it to eat properly or maybe alternative food. I've just put chick crumbs through the food processor to get a sort of flour. If I puree this with liquid it *might* be fine enough to get through the feeding tube but I'm doubtful. Am I limited to water with it? Is milk acceptable? Can I put in a little sugar for instant energy or can they not digest it?

The chick is constantly getting its backside sealed up and I have to keep cleaning it. I presume this is because it's getting too much liquid in its feed to produce solid droppings. Does this seem reasonable? There is no sign that it is actually sick, it just won't eat to save its life. It cheeps an average amount and has definitely decided I am its mother.

I'm just about to hard boil an egg so I can try crumbled egg yolk (it knows the taste of liquid yolk already...) but if it won't pick it up were are back to liquids again. Could it have brain damage from the hypothermia? I suspect the other one had because it had trouble with its legs. Apart from spraddle which I was curing with pipe cleaner I think it also had weakness on one side which might have been a sign of brain problems. Anyway, I still have one alive so... any thoughts?

All quick help gratefully received.

Brian

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The pasty butt is due to stress or temp fluctuations.

Raising one chick by itself is very difficult to do. Chickens are social animals; and that doesn't include humans (at least at this point).

You can try the other feed stuffs you listed. At the end of the day, I believe you will lose the chick naturally. Some times it is more merciful to cull than to try and save something. At least that was always our thinking on the farm.

3. eyeofskye

Sep 11, 2011
    Quote:I think you are probably right but we have had some miracles in the past and with them all being pets we work with the where there's life there's hope principle. If this was an adult hen we would probably have culled but you get very sentimental about a little chick just starting out in life. We had a single Brahma chick we got back from a coma after it was overcome by red mite in the brooder which we had no idea was there (my goodness they hid well). Its companions died. She's grown up into a very friendly bird none the worse for wear.

I've just cleaned its backside again and it's still going but a bit weak. Can I include sugar in any feed I can give it? It sure needs a power boost.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The sugar water would basically be just electrolites. I don't see that it would be a problem, but I'd recommend Milk Replacer instead. Just dust the feed with it. The milk replacer will make the chick desire the feed more too. Just don't overdo it or the squirts will get worse and not better.

5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I had a similar chick last year and fed boiled egg yolk mixed with plain yogurt thinned out with some liquid electrolytes. Very slow going,but after a couple of days he would actually reach up and take the drop of food. Lots of time and TLC, and he ended up being a gorgeous black silkie roo.

6. eyeofskye

Sep 11, 2011
    Thank you all of you for your replies but I'm afraid a little light has gone out. He just suddenly took a turn for the worse and lost the battle. I wish I knew what was wrong. Maybe the period of hypothermia caused an organ to shut down, we'll never know.
    Not in a good place at the moment
    Brian

7. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:So sorry. [​IMG]

8. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Brian, so sorry for your loss. You did your best.

9. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    So sorry. You really gave it a good try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by