Emergency - Chicken ate acetaminophen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abby hen, Dec 17, 2014.

1. abby hen

abby hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm scared for my hen - she broke her toe nail this evening and in rushing to try to clean it up and give her a little pain killer, I broke off about 80mg of acetaminophen, thinking it was Aspirin (not Tylenol). Very foolish. Will that hurt her, and is there anything I can feed her, or do otherwise, to help get it out of her system if it's harmful?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not worry about it. I used to believe Tylenol (acetominophen) was bad for chickens until I did some reading about it, and found it was not so serious. I would prefer to use aspirin though, since tylenol can be toxic to some animals. Broken toenails are usually very painful, but not particularly serious. The nail may not grow back, as was my experience. Here is a study about acetominphen use in poultry: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2997462/

3. abby hen

abby hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Okay, very good to hear. Thank you. I checked on her a little while ago and she seemed to be in her normal state (granted they were roosting, so it was her sleepy mode - lightly chatty - she was in). I'll do a little research into what, if anything, I should do to relieve her toe in the morning in the way of oitments or bandages. Unfortunately there's quite a lot of quick exposed, must be so painful :(

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some Triple Antibiotic/plain Neosporin ointment or iodine/Betadine on the toe would be helpful, and help to prevent infection.

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting report, appears that it's safer for chickens than humans...

The stuff is down right dangerous/deadly for humans even in low dosages based on recent studies, I'm honestly amazed it's still over the counter...

6. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I love the things I learn on this forum.
    Last time I read any data, I threw out all the Tylenol in the house.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by