EMERGENCY! Chicken ate hair tie!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Aug 9, 2014.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Please help, I'm such an idiot! I was letting my chicks play with my little hairband, thinking there was no way they'd swallow it. Eventually I decided enough was enough and tried to grab it but all of a sudden my 15 week old pullet swallowed it! It had a metal connector. What should I do? Please help me. I'm devastated and ashamed and so so stupid. Should I feed her a lot of grit? Please help.

2. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

3. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Anyone? Please help

4. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    Personally, I would take them to a vet. I can't imagine they can pass that!

5. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I don't think parents are willing to spend that much money on the poor thing

6. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    She hasn't been twisting her neck, so I think its gone through her esophagus. Right now she is dust bathing in the shade. She's eaten, and is drinking water.

7. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    I would do it quickly as well. They may just be able to pull it out through her mouth if it is still in their crop. You may be able to get a regular cat and dog vet to do it since it's a matter of only removing it.

8. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Breath easy! I have had one eat a pretty big google-eye, another ate a button off my shirt. I think your chicken will be fine, but I'd check for crop impaction for a while. They do eat rocks to help them break stuff down, just make sure she has plenty of access to grit, watch the crop and monitor to see if she is still eating and stuff is coming out the other end. They do eat the darnedest things!
    Hope all goes well!

9. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for your input. I'm hoping, and praying that she's okay, but honestly, I doubt she can digest this kind of thing. Did your chickens poop out what they ate?

10. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I don't know about hair ties, but when one of my speckled sussex had sour/impacted crop, I gave her greasy canned cat food and maybe a tablespoon of olive oil. In about a day, things started moving again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by