EMERGENCY Chicken can't breath

FourandSix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Eugene, Oregon
One of my hens is standing with all her feathers puffed,up, and her mouth is open. I can hear her breathing, it sounds labored. I don't know what to do, all of the vet clinics are closed or their poultry vet isn't in. What should I do with her?

Does she have and diarrhea or other symptoms such as eye/nose drainage, sneezing, swelling or the eyes or face, or bubbles in the eyes? Can you get help, and look inside her beak and throat for any material or yellow patches that could be blocking her throat? Has she had any other illness lately? Do you have any antibiotics at home?

We took her to the vet on Saturday. They said something is stuck in her windpipe. They couldn't see anything in the x-rays, so they think it's far down. They said my only option is an endoscopy. She is isolated from the others because I'm supposed to keep her calm. She hasn't gotten worse, but I really don't know what to do.

Did they say if it was tissue or a foreign object? Sometimes chickens can get a fungal infection called canker which can get in the airway and cause problems. A medicine called metronidazole or Flagyl 250 mg tablets can be given daily to reduce the size and treat it. I wouldn't know if that was the problem though. Did the vet say what is was? This is the Fishzole version of metronidazole: http://www.allivet.com/p-2945-fish-zole-250-mg-60-ct.aspx?gclid=CMbS69Xo3LoCFeYWMgodfA0AKw&

Last edited:
She said she thought she sucked something in, she never said anything about canker, but I will call her and ask if that's a possibility. Would that have shown up in the x-rays? Is there anything else I can do besides an endoscopy if there is a strange object in there.

I don't think there is a place that can do an endoscopy, and I don't know how much that is going to cost. Is there anything else I can do that might get whatever is stuck, unstuck?

If it is a stuck object, you wouldn't be able to help. An endoscopy is inserting a lighted tube done the esophagus (food tube), not the airway. Do they think she ate something that is stuck in her digestive tract crop or gizzard)?

Back
Top Bottom