Emergency chicken cant stand seems alert happy no pain but legs wont hold her she tips backward and

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casanchez12, Feb 5, 2012.

1. casanchez12

casanchez12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Once before I noticed one walked poorly. I left it be and it got better on own. couldnt tell it apart from rest. friday i was told one didnt walk well. saturday morning found it on side. stood it up and it walked poorly. pm eevryone going in coop but that one walking with difficulty outside, saturday am on side in coop. carried it outside tried to stand it up and seemed to stand ok. pm found it on side in a different spot. looked like on side for while marks on ground poopy but. checked legs look normal but when I stand it up it falls backward and lays on side. feet seem colder than other birds. will take inside to bath and sling it and see if it eats.

please help if you can.

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    This has only happened to me when the chicks get too cold, and it happened once to one of my hens, but it was because she got soaked cool water. She couldn't stand for about an hour.

I remember when I had just started hatching, (VERY INEXPERIENCED) I put them outside, the heat lamp was up to high, and one of the chicks became somewhat paralyzed. I put the heat lamp down even lower, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the rest of the chicks the next day. It just needed some Tender Love and Care.

3. casanchez12

casanchez12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    HELP! Made a sling and put her in it bc cant stand. Eats when held. Not happy about sling but still seems perky. Peddles her legs so I am afraid she will wear herself out. Still don't know why she can't stand and tips back. She is in the house in bathroom. It is warm. I had a light on her but turned it off thinking if it gets to hot she cant move away in a sling! She ate mac n cheese last night and oatmeal today. Hard to tell if she is drinking but I think so. She pooped last night and looked normal. Anyone know why this could happen. Stuck finger in vent and felt no egg. Put some olive oil in vent in case. Will egg bound hens have egg near vent so you can feel it? How far do I put my finger in to feel for egg? 1 centimeter? more? She is a silkie, bantie I think. Small bird. Very inexperienced. Last experience was a prolapser so I kinda get this but not really. That one didn't work out. She kept proplapsing, we kept on sticking her back in again. She seemed to get better and everything stayed in the last time but a few weeks later she passed? One day perky, one day gone? No steady decline.

Thanks so much for a reply if you can help with non standing chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by