EMERGENCY: Chicken May Have Aspirated

Wish I could help, but I know little about chickens. Maybe we can tag someone who knows. Unfortunately it is 4th of July weekend @Miss Lydia.
It's ok. I think I figured it out. She's still alive. She's stopped gasping. But it doesn't look good. She def has sour crop. She is resting in a crate in my bathroom.

I am so discouraged right now. Nothing is going right with my flock right now. I have a cockerel with a limp, 3 broodies who I need to break, Bryony with this issue, developing problems with predators, 2 chicks with "special needs," Poppy seems to have a chronic illness, and the feed store is out of my feed of choice again.

Gaaaahhhh!!!
:barnie

It's ok. I think I figured it out. She's still alive. She's stopped gasping. But it doesn't look good. She def has sour crop. She is resting in a crate in my bathroom.

I am so discouraged right now. Nothing is going right with my flock right now. I have a cockerel with a limp, 3 broodies who I need to break, Bryony with this issue, developing problems with predators, 2 chicks with "special needs," Poppy seems to have a chronic illness, and the feed store is out of my feed of choice again.

Gaaaahhhh!!!
:hugs :hugs

Gaaaahhhh!!!
Glad to hear she hasn't taken a turn for the worst. Sorry to hear you are having issues with others as well.

How is she doing @Aunt Angus ? I have only had 2 hens with sour crop and used Two Crows info to get them through it .
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
She's hanging in there. She's sleeping in the crate. I've treated sour crop before. I am more concerned about the aspiration at the moment. I'll withhold food and water from her tonight and see if the crop empties some by morning. I'm SUPER afraid of aspiration because I accidentally killed my Jessamine by picking her up gruffly when she had a crop full of liquid. It was a sad and painful death. I'm afraid of it happening again to Bryony, esp if I were to try vomiting her.

If it empties, I'll start her on yeast meds tomorrow. I may try the suppositories so she can't aspirate any more on them (in theory). And give her some yogurt.

After watching Jess die after choking and seizing, I'll be very careful.

Gaaaahhhh!!!
I'm so sorry! Hope your girl will be back to 100% health soon!

Back
Top Bottom