EMERGENCY: Chicken May Have Aspirated

Thanks for the kind words. I hate that she died alone. She wasn't even very old, but I feel relatively confident that it was salpingitis. My Australorp, Magnolia, presented similarly. Magnolia acted much sicker, though, and had lost so much weight. Bryony still had good body condition (judging by her appearance, anyway). I thought maybe I'd caught it in time.

I decided I'll start a fodder system for them. We used to have lots of grass and native plants for them, but everything is just dirt now because of the drought. I beat myself up over it, but the chicken pasture is really just an extension of their run. Folks can't really grow grass and things inside the run, right? So instead of a 250 sq ft run and an adjacent fenced chicken pasture, what they really have is an 850 sq ft run, I guess. And that's not awful. It just isn't as nice as what they used to have.

A fodder system will help me feel like I'm giving them a better life. And I'll add things in the pasture extended run to give them places to explore and hang out.

I just want them to be happy and healthy. I thought moving to a farm would do that, but it's actually made it harder on so many levels (like predation - I am listening to 3 Coopers Hawks call back and forth right now). Who would've thought suburbia would've been better?
😞

Last edited:
We plan on making 6 boxes and plant them at intervals. That might make me feel better.

Our local organic nursery sells a VERY fast growing seed mix that is formulated just for chickens. We normally buy several pounds of it and section off part of the yard for it, but it's been hard to grow in this climate. There's too much yard to lay that much topsoil, but small boxes will work.

I am feeling a bit more hopeful. Been a lot of loss the last few months (Jessamine, 3 chicks, now Bryony). Not to mention a surprise cockerel that upset my plans a bit. A simple project will keep me busy and focused for a while. Might be just what I need. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I hate that she died alone. She wasn't even very old, but I feel relatively confident that it was salpingitis. My Australorp, Magnolia, presented similarly. Magnolia acted much sicker, though, and had lost so much weight. Bryony still had good body condition (judging by her appearance, anyway). I thought maybe I'd caught it in time.

I decided I'll start a fodder system for them. We used to have lots of grass and native plants for them, but everything is just dirt now because of the drought. I beat myself up over it, but the chicken pasture is really just an extension of their run. Folks can't really grow grass and things inside the run, right? So instead of a 250 sq ft run and an adjacent fenced chicken pasture, what they really have is an 850 sq ft run, I guess. And that's not awful. It just isn't as nice as what they used to have.

A fodder system will help me feel like I'm giving them a better life. And I'll add things in the pasture extended run to give them places to explore and hang out.

I just want them to be happy and healthy. I thought moving to a farm would do that, but it's actually made it harder on so many levels (like predation - I am listening to 3 Coopers Hawks call back and forth right now). Who would've thought suburbia would've been better?
😞
How are you doing? I found your post because I have a hen with sour crop. I finally tried vomitting her, using the utmost care and following the detailed instructions of a reputable person. She appears to have aspirated, the worst nightmare from the procedure. She is alive now, but she has been gurgling and coughing, with open mouthed breathing on and off for about an hour. Tons of stuff came out and it appeared to be all of the barley from the fodder system. We just started it and the first batch was given to them about 2-3 days prior to seeing her do a weird choking motion. I thought something was stuck in her throat but she must have got it through. It has been 2 weeks since then and now she is skin and bones. I’m thinking that fodder has led to my sweet girls death. So please be careful giving them this long grass.

Like you, I never want to have another animal again. A week ago, I lost the sweetest girl to a hawk. I consider it a cruel murder and it is all unbearable for me at this point. I have 29 chickens. A lot of death to face in the future. I don’t know why I have done this to myself. 😢 I feel your pain and hurt for both of us.

Back
Top Bottom