EMERGENCY- Chicken showing symptoms of being egg bound but can’t feel egg

Chickentyler

Hatching
Apr 30, 2021
1 year old chicken showing symptoms of being egg bound but we can’t exactly feel an egg. She doesn’t want to walk around or lay down, she will only stand in one spot with her eyes closed. She seems like she doesn’t have her balance, she leans forward slightly and leans on something if she can. We have tried feeling around her vent area for an egg and put a finger inside to try and feel one but couldn’t obviously identify an egg. She excreted a clear/yellowy liquid.

We gave her a warm Epsom salt bath and have put calcium in her food but she doesn’t have an appetite.

Does this sound like her being egg bound? Please can we have advice on what do.

Thanks

It may not be egg bound, have you isolated her? Try for the egg one more time, and it'd you are positive there is not one, then feel her abdomen and crop.

I had a very, very similar thing happen with Ponyo, the RIR. She was acting eggbound, but we couldn’t feel an egg. She also pooped a yellow mucous-y glop. We believe she had reproductive cancer, but aren’t a 100% sure. Ponyo, unfortunately, didn’t make it.

Your girl could also have a soft shell egg stuck somewhere higher up the track. @azygous was very helpful with Ponyo.

We have never had a chicken with a soft shell egg, but I guess it could be possible. The chicken while in the tub did poop out some green poop. So that is a plus but she has been acting down since, she did take a huge leap out of the tub, so I am hoping that doesn't mean she could have cracked it. Going to stay up and watch her through the night and give her another warm bath here shortly, and try to force some calcium down here. She hasn't really touched her water or feed we put in her tote. Just mostly standing there staring. Hasn't laid down either.

She also pooped a yellow mucous-y glop. We believe she had reproductive cancer, but aren’t a 100% sure. Ponyo, unfortunately, didn’t make it.
I had one like that who died. Mine had poop that looked like raw egg, yolks and white combined. It was probably egg-yolk peritonitis, aka, internal laying.

Back
Top Bottom