Emergency! Chicken with swell on roof of mouth!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haybail2028, Oct 30, 2014.

1. haybail2028

haybail2028 New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Hello to all my backyard chicken guru's!

PLEASE HELP!!!

My precious Easter Egger Ms. Hennifer Lopez has a black spot and a swell on the "roof of her mouth" and has developed a slight curl up on the end of her beak... all of which are making her not be able to eat properly. The first picture attached was her on October 23rd with what seemed to be some pecking wounds on the bridge of her beak from the queen B's of the clan and you can see her beak is normal at the point... the rest of the pictures attached are her from this evening.

She seems to be acting perfectly normal, except for the fact she cant close the end of her beak due to whatever is causing the inside top of her beak to swell up like that. She is not able to peck at anything because as you can see she doesn't really have a correct pecker to be pecking with! The what was once dried blood from last week is now a very harsh looking bridge of her beak which I'm not sure is normal healing or if it is also some sort of infection? It just looks plain yucky :( You will also notice a part of her beak on the left side has a piece that juts out abnormally...

The black spot on the inside has to mean something... Fowl Pox? Canker? Just seems odd she is the only one that has it and I am wondering if its a bacterial thing caused from her pervious wounds? Really freaking out because she is just the sweetest girl. Any and ALL help would be appreciated.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

-Bailey

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It appears to be some type of injury rather than some type of disease. Is it possible she got part of her beak ripped off in chicken wire or some other manner while being chased or picked on by the other birds? The black spot at the roof of her mouth could be part of healing like you stated, perhaps bruising from getting the beak ripped off.
    This could possibly become a quality of life issue if she's unable to eat or drink. Water in her feed to make a liquidy mash to eat might work.

3. haybail2028

haybail2028 New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    Upstate New York
    It just seems very odd. The only thing we noticed before this was the dry blood on the bridge of her beak as you see in first photo. Never any crazy blood like a broken beak...but I do see what you're saying because it's bending up like that on the tip it looks like something is missing...

I think we will try to seperate her enough to make sure she's getting enough food...I'm hoping that swelling on the roof of her mouth will go down and maybe she'll be able to peck again...does this seem like something that will heal? Beaks are like human fingernails right?

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Might try to track down a farm animal vet to help me out too. Can't lose my favorite girl.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've never had a bird lose part of its beak. However from reading about some beak injuries that I've read about in this forum; beaks regrow.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I've got a game cock that has broken his beak off twice trying to fight through a fence. This last time it evidently broke off in the growth area and has not grown back well. It is short and curls upward. I was trimming the lower beak but it was causing great distress for us both so I decided to just watch him. He seems to do fine. He has maintained his weight and still is able to forage in the grass and catch tidbits for his hen. The only thing I do different is make sure his feed in the bowl stays deep so he can push his beak into the food to grab some.

1 person likes this.
  6. haybail2028

haybail2028 New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    Upstate New York
    So the advice from everyone is to just watch it and see what it does? Make sure she is getting enough food and water and hope that it is just an injury that will eventually heal itself right?

Seems like no one has run into this exact looking beak trauma.

Well pray to the chicken universe for me that Little Hennifer will get better!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As mentioned in post #5; make sure the feed in the bowl is deep so she can push her beak into the feed to eat. A liquidy mash with treats in it might get her accustomed to eating out of a deep bowl. Good luck.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes there's just not much to be done.

9. haybail2028

haybail2028 New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Thanks everyone! I brought Miss HenLo in and cleaned up her beak with some antibacterial products and have been keeping antibac ointment on her beak. The swelling has significantly went down! She is back outside with her pals and has adapted to being able to free range again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by