Emergency!! Chicken wound!!!

saraiquimby1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Indiana
Someone help!! My rooster has been picking on one Hen in particular. They've been together since day 1 and they are now a year old but lately he has just been beating her up and not letting her down from the perch. Tonight I went out and found her like this. He's obviously grabbed her there and basically ripped a chunk of her head off. What do I do?!??
At first I thought she was maybe his favorite because of the way she looked from obvious mating but now he's really hurt her.
I have 1 rooster for 10 hens.
I have her separated in my horse barn now with one of the other hens for company. I have vetricyn spray to put on it too but what else can I do? Does she need special diet? I've never dealt with this so any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

Last edited:
Clean is up as best as you can with warm water and let it dry. Once dry, pack it full of neosporin. Are you positive it's him? I recently got a couple of Columbia crosses and my hens picked on one terribly. I had to give her to a friend of mine while she heals as I don't have anywhere to separate.
Do you need a roo for fertilized eggs? If not,get rid of him.

You've done everything right so far. Continue to monitor the hens wound and make sure her flockmate is not picking at the wound. The rooster needs to go. Who knows why he picked her but while she is separated from the others make sure the rooster does not go after another hen. His continued aggression means he needs to leave.

Back
Top Bottom