Emergency - Corid dose 2wk chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micstrachan, Jun 9, 2019.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Dose info?

The Phantom likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1/2 tsp of liquid Corid per quart waterer or 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon for 5-7 days. Dosage is the same for all chickens.

3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Thank you. I was too late. Rest in peace, Happy Cheeks. All waterers are getting Corid tomorrow. Hopefully I am ahead of it with the remaining three chicks.

Cashew didn’t seem to care that her chick was sick. Very sad. Poor little thing.

Sequel likes this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m not totally convinced it was coccidiosis. Figured that was most likely. Happy Cheeks didn’t do the standing around puffed up with eyes closed thing. She just VERY quickly got uncoordinated and weak. Almost seemed more neurological. But I’ve never seen coccidiosis at work first hand, so maybe it was that. With my son’s graduation Friday and company over tonight, I wasn’t paying as close attention as usual. She was up on the outdoor roost this morning with another chick and looked good. I let the flock out from the pen late this afternoon, and she was not with Cashew and the other babies. I went to rescue her and give her to her momma and she was having trouble negotiating the grass. Then she was stumbling using her wings and laid down on her side. After dripping Corid on her beak, she’d cycle through perking up (even to the point of eating once) and being unable to even hold up her head. Her legs got weird and stiff, too. I got these chicks for Cashew, not for me, but it’s still sad and I feel bad I was unable to help her. Crazy how quickly it happened. We also started a heat wave today, so that could have been a factor.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Sequel likes this.
  5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Is it possible Happy Cheeks had a nutrient deficiency and I killed her with the Corid? In retrospect, I FIRST gave her nutridrench, and THEN gave her Corid. She seemed to be bouncing back miraculously quickly, but then took a downturn and deteriorated equally rapidly. I absolutely HATE making deadly mistakes with my birds. Sigh. Or maybe she was just beyond saving.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. :hugs You did not kill her with Corid. :hugs

Sequel and micstrachan like this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Thanks. It was very sad, but very quick and Cashew didn’t seem to care. I feel a little guilty saying this, but it was less sad than losing an adult hen whose personality I knew and worked with for months. I did learn from it, however.
    • Be SUPER attentive, even when Mama has things under control.
    • Use medicated feed if integrating early. The remaining three chicks are already integrated at less than three weeks old. They’re still in Cashew’s care, but the big girls are leaving them alone. I am happy to report that Dorothy is especially friendly and already jumps up on me!

Sequel and casportpony like this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. The NutriDrench was a good thing to give her before you started the Corid. Corid would not have caused her death.

Sequel, micstrachan and casportpony like this.
  9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    So sorry for your loss, I recently lost one too. :hugs

10. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m sorry.:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: