Emergency Design for Quarentine / Brooder Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Picky Chicky, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    My DH agreed back in December that he would build me a quarentine/brooder coop for newbies, sickies and broody hens (obviously not at the same time - and would be cleaned thoroughly after each squatter did it's time [​IMG] ).

I have been pleading with him to hurry it up, and now time has run out. I have an event coming up this Saturday that I had intended on attending so I can add to my current flock of 5.

Can anyone show me a link to something that can easily be built in a half day's time (or quicker)? My original idea was something similar (but probably not as fancy) as this design: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=10091-The_Corrolla

I
    prefer to keep the coop off the ground... large enough to hold 3 standards temporarily... and have the small run/outside area for some stretching room under the coop itself.

I know, beggars can't be too choosey. And thank you to all for your quick thinking!

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    How many are you going to be adding? If it isn't many, maybe a dog kennel/house could work for temporary residence.

3. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:I'm not certain - it depends on what's there, but... my goal is

5 to 6 total... I have another swap I'm going to in May (2nd) and the turnout is usually pretty amazing.

So I'm thinking I might get 2 or 3 max from this weekend's swap.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I quarantine in rabbit cages away from my flock.

5. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:Are they full rabbit hutches with the cage outside of the mini-shelter, or are they just basic metal cages?

I was thinking about just breaking down and buying a "double wide" rabbit hutch, but wondered if that would be too small for a couple standards or appropriate for a mother with her chicks?

6. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Are they full rabbit hutches with the cage outside of the mini-shelter, or are they just basic metal cages?

I was thinking about just breaking down and buying a "double wide" rabbit hutch, but wondered if that would be too small for a couple standards or appropriate for a mother with her chicks?

Mine are 14 guage (heavy duty) all wire cages. They're 2'x2'x10' with dividers every 2'. I can take out some of the middle dividers to make larger cages. It's 1/2"x1" wire on the floor and 1x2" on the sides and top. I have rabbit feeders on the sides - accomadates pelleted chicken feed very well [​IMG]

I raise rabbits and I bought these cages from a breeder going out of business, so I have 3 of these huge things, 5 cages in each one hanging under an overhang outside the barn. Right now I have a d'Uccle roo living in one - he's recuperating from a run-in with my EE roo.

Are you headed to the Powahtan swap on Saturday? Is that the event you're going to? If so, I'll see you there!

7. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:I surely am (unless it rains, but the weatherman insists that it'll be sunny and low 70's. Perfect chicken buying weather! [​IMG]

I'm trying to envision your set up - is there any protection from the elements? We don't have a barn - yet... so I wouldn't have anything to protect them from cold/rain...

I may be totally envisioning wrong - I don't have a good sense of imagination when it comes to stuff like this. [​IMG]

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    msbear built that cute little coop. She might be able to give you some pointers...

9. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I surely am (unless it rains, but the weatherman insists that it'll be sunny and low 70's. Perfect chicken buying weather! [​IMG]

I'm trying to envision your set up - is there any protection from the elements? We don't have a barn - yet... so I wouldn't have anything to protect them from cold/rain...

I may be totally envisioning wrong - I don't have a good sense of imagination when it comes to stuff like this. [​IMG]

This overhang area is off of one side of the "barn" - it's about 19x19'
    [​IMG]

This picture was taken with our wildlife cam capturing the neighbors dog on our property [​IMG] But you can see where I hung the cages against the wall and the overhang keeps the rain off them - except where the roof leaks [​IMG] When I was a teenager my dad built a simple roof on legs over my rabbit cages to keep the rain off. A friend of mine just drapes tarps over top of all-wire cages.
    [​IMG]

Oh boy - I have some cleaning to do!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  10. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:Thanks so much for the picture - I gotcha now! [​IMG]

I'm with you on the dog woes. We have a neighbor three houses down from us that lets his 2 labs and 1 fatty chihuahua run loose. So far they haven't bothered our chickens (they aren't free rangers yet - not until the fence is finished anyways), but they're a huge pest in other ways. They torment our dog (she doesn't leave our property, but we never leave her out unattended) and they poop in our yard. The pooping in our yard is a pain because our good girl only uses the woods - she never goes in the yard. Such a good girl. [​IMG]

Lucky for us, the neighbor put up a For Sale sign a few weeks back. He's asking waaaay too much, but hopefully if the country Gods are smiling on us, it'll sell to a family that has chickens just like us... and maybe a horse. Yeah. A horse would be fun. [​IMG]

Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by