Emergency! Duck can't move!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Dec 14, 2011.

1. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My drake disappeared a yesterday, and I just now found him. He was in his favorite spot, by the Side of my house. He can not move on land at all. His left wing is all droopy and he can't move it. I brought him in and filled up the tub to see if he could swim and he can. I believe it is broken. I can't afford a vet, I have no clue what to do. He is eating, and drinking. Friday is also trying to do the flap in water thing but he can't do it! Someone, please help! [​IMG]

2. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Anybody? [​IMG]

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Keep him warm, keep him quiet. Give him a soft bed with his food and water within reach. Take him to swim and bathe every day and give him time to see if he comes around. I don't know much else you can do, but give him a chance. I've had some injured ducks that survived similar things and a couple that didn't, but it is possible.

4. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    He just got an hour and thirty minute long back, Friday seems to be doing much better. He is laying on a towel in a box, in a dark.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If his wing is indeed broken I would cull.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do a search on the BYC forum on "duck broken wing" and try to find information.

Here is an example - I haven't read the entire topic, but you might find some helpful information here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=452490

Wings can be set using vet wrap - Do you have any guesses what happened? Any puncture wounds?

What breed and age is he? Do you have a photo?

Just move the wing very gently when you move it. Try to hold it gently to find out what's going on.

He needs vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics, plenty to eat. Try offering a few unsalted mashed potatoes and see if he takes it.

7. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:

8. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:The thing is booboo, I can't. I live in the middle of the city. There is no vet that will take him.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:The thing is booboo, I can't. I live in the middle of the city. There is no vet that will take him.

You don't need a vet to cull a bird, just take a hatchet and chop the head. An old broomstick also works if you put the neck under the handle, step on it and pull up on their feet. Both are quick and painless. If your birds wing is broken, it will be in a lot of pain.

10. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma

You don't need a vet to cull a bird, just take a hatchet and chop the head. An old broomstick also works if you put the neck under the handle, step on it and pull up on their feet. Both are quick and painless. If your birds wing is broken, it will be in a lot of pain.

I can't though. Er, how do I explain this. Let's just say I'm an outlaw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by