EMERGENCY - Duckling is gagging and in distress!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amykins, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    This morning, Wobbles began opening her bill wide and throwing her head forward, almost like she was dry-heaving. Well, it just happened again only worse this time, she was FLIPPING OUT, throwing her head back, walking backwards and sprinting all over in a total panic! What can I do? My vet isn't open until tomorrow and I've called every single clinic within 30 miles, no one's open that can take exotics.

She's breathing ok, but could it be sour crop? Would that induce gagging in a duck? Should I give her olive oil? Please help!!

2. YardBird192

YardBird192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    Sorry we just logged on. Is the sweet thing still acting up?

3. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    No, she's quieted down but I just had a thought - she's in the middle of growing in her feathers. Could she be accidentally swallowing her down and getting them lodged in her throat? The tiny quills are practically falling off her.

She's also frantically scratching at her crop and face, but I'm not sure if she's in pain or impacted, or if she's just itchy from the new feathers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. YardBird192

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    If water has been accessible,check the mouth very well ...tongue especially...and throat to be sure it hasn't gotten something threadlike or large caught up or tangled and that the tongue color is normal. Check the pen for clues...stinging or biting insects, and torn plastic or fabric. I believe I've read someone had a similar issue and used vetrx in a humidifier to treat like we would with vapor rub and it helped. We have never had our ducks do this, but our chickens have and it has been something their curious mouths find and we have to retrieve.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I've checked her mouth up and down, I haven't seen anything but she's still so tiny, I can't see down her throat. We have a vet appointment for the morning but man, I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight!

Two days ago, I noticed she'd shredded a bit of her rubber foam mat that that her water dish is placed on top of, but I didn't know if she'd eaten any or not. If she had eaten any, would it take 48 hours for any signs of trouble to appear? She's still eating and pooping, so I don't think her crop is blocked...but obviously I can't be sure.

6. YardBird192

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    I think it's telling you something's in there. If you have help holding it, start searching. Have a towel, sharp small scissors or fingernail clippers, and maybe a pair of tweezers before you start. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will jump in here. I just know that if my husband and I had not been persistent in checking one of our chicks in the past, she wouldn't be here today. She has half a tongue because it took so long to finally see the thread around her tongue, but she can eat and is now five months old. Please post an update.

1 person likes this.
  7. Marthar848

Marthar848 New Egg

Jul 11, 2014
    Braxton, MS
    There is a web site called : just ask.com
    They have vets and other pros that can help. They will answer pretty quickly.

8. YardBird192

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    If you have a spoon or tongue depressor and a flashlight, see if you can see anything. I'd get the foam out of its living quarters. They will tear up anything they can get in their mouth and "mouth it "to pieces.

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Yeah, I did that when I discovered it. Her bill is way too small for a spoon or tongue depressor. The best I can do is a chopstick, but I don't want to hurt her. I did give her some olive oil, my husband is on his way home to help me out with a pen light so I can see in there better.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How are things this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by