EMERGENCY Duckling mostly hatched but i can see yolk sac protruding from the shell where i

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tjael, Mar 9, 2015.

1. tjael

tjael New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Anyone know if I should keep the humidity high to prevent the drying out of the yolk sac? Or should I encourage it to dry out? Totally new at this. This is my first hatch, mama duck went missing from nest.. Any advice to help the little guys chance at survival? He's weak too.. He will chirp and wiggle, then sleep for awhile. Hasn't tried to move too much yet. Its been about 6 hours.. Thanks in advance!

2. tjael

tjael New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. texasturtle

texasturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    I'm new at incubating ducks and my little one yesterday had a large yolk sac attached to it. But today the sac is just a little ball on the ducks abdomen. I just kept all levels the same as hatching.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    The photo doesn't work, could you please re-upload it?

And when you say it's still in the shell, do you mean he left it behind, or is it still attached to him? Wobbles had a "mushy belly button" when he hatched, too. He was also very weak. I gave him some vitamins and sugar dissolved in warm water and he perked right up. Without the nutrients from the yolk, he needed the boost more than ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by