EMERGENCY: DUcklings Choking...I think?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I recently incubated and hatched 4 beautiful and vibrant little mallard ducklings. It is day three, I just finished giving them their dinner when I noticed two of them bobbing their heads and bubbling at the nose and mouth. I do not understand what is happening. They seem able to breath, its been ten minutes and they are still alive and kicking, so I really don't think they are choking but still, they keeping bobbing their heads and any new water comes bubbling back up the color of food. Its not like I let the little things gorge themselves so I really am at a loss to what could possibly be going on. I really hope some one is awake and reading out there because I really don't want to wake up tomorrow morning to dead ducklings... [​IMG]

I could really use a hand here....please.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Is anybody out there, or have I posted this in the wrong spot?!

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    A couple of my babies did that when they were a couple days old and they were just fine [​IMG] They either ate too much or they have a bit stuck and are trying to get it all down. They will be fine. Try to not worry too much and get some rest [​IMG]

4. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thank you, Its a little scary when a months hard work and love is threatened by something as simple as dinner. I suppose they must have eat'in more than I realized(little piggies [​IMG] )

I was worried sick for a while there, but
    I just checked on them and everybodies asleep and breathing good, I think I will follow their example [​IMG]

5. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    My Ducklings did that ( and some still do... 2 years later [​IMG] ).... Its just kinda how they eat.... but what I did was I took their food ( the ducklings ) and smashed it up a little bit more before i gave it to them. I stooped doing this at about 2 weeks...
    Congrates on the new little ones! [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do they have water all the time, or just at certain times? If they get really thirsty, they can overdo the water and end up gurgling it back up.

I let mine have water 24/7.

7. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I had the same thing happen when mine were a few days old........wracks your nerves for sure. I think they just gorge themselves and have trouble getting it through, especially when they drink lots of water and it bloats. By now, I'm sure you figured out they are ok. [​IMG]

8. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Yep, its morning and everybody still alive and accounted for. [​IMG]

I'm just going to have to ground up their food a little bit more from now on. They are my first batch of duckies I didn't just buy from the feed store, so it really is a new experience for me, certainly my chickens had never done this and none of the ducklings I owned before either.
    I'm just glad it turned out to be no big deal [​IMG] Thanks everyone [​IMG]

9. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Are you feeding them pellets, or starter crumbles?

10. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm feeding them game starter crumbles, the un-medicated stuff, and I supplement with finely chopped fruits,vegetables, and cottage cheese. They love it, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by