Emergency! Dying hen! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Naamahbengals, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    A hen was dropped off to me in terrible condition. She's dehydrated and emaciated, just sits. I'm pretty sure she is dying. And before you say, I already called the vet, and they want me to put her down. Not going to do that, I want to try something! Can anyone recommend anything? If I can just get her to drink and eat I think she will pull through. But she's not. She swallowed the feed crumbs I put in her mouth, kinda... and the water I trickled in. But I am afraid of giving her much, that it would harm her more than help all at once. I also put her under a heat lamp to keep warm (though it isn't cold here, but just in case). Any advice at all would be helpful!!!

Edit: She is ok! She pulled through! Thank you, everyone!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Is she old, neglected, sick?? Do you have pics? Are her feathers ruffled up, is she cold. She could have a million and one things wrong? Need more details and pics.

3. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Her feathers are perfect. I was told she was 3 years old. Apparently she was a fine and healthy hen until the owners went on vacation and their sitter forgot to feed or water her for a week! They don't know what to do with her so they just dropped her with me.

4. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    They found her mate dead, and thought she was, but she moved when they touched her. She's sitting on her haunches (not laying down or standing full), and feels like skin and bones but feathers are fine.

5. ThaiDye

ThaiDye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    So Cal
    You might try vitamins & electrolytes not knowing her history. You could get some at the feed store like Save-a-chick, or Poly Vi-Sol (without iron) in the chickens remedies section in the drug store. Use an eye dropper to drop some in her mouth.
    I once got a rooster to eat by mixing chick starter with vitamin water (real soupy) & dropping it down his mouth till his crop was full.

6. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    I'm worried about choking her by dropping it in. Could that happen? I don't want her to inhale it.

7. ThaiDye

Jul 8, 2012
    So Cal
    Keep her warm also. Use a brooder lamp or a lightbulb but put it somewhere she can move away from if too hot.

8. ThaiDye

Jul 8, 2012
    So Cal
    You could drop it on her tongue so you don't aspirate her

9. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I would first give her sugar water to get some instant energy, like you would a weak shipped chick. Put the water in the palm of your hand and at the crack of your hand on the pinky side kinda slowly funnel some for her to drink. let her swallow every time. let her rest then see if she shows interest in food. Make some mash, food and water, mine love this. Even if you get some enticing scratch into her thats a start for energy.

10. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    I'm stuck home for the next day (on top of everything, we don't have transport this week); I do have chick feed, but no animal vitamins. Is there anything I I can use from around the house? Like a human multivitamin or electrolyte water or....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by