1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emergency-Egg white coming out of vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HilldaleChicks, Jan 15, 2017.

1. HilldaleChicks

HilldaleChicks Just Hatched

Sep 29, 2016
    Aniwa, WI
    I have a 9 month old Black Australorpe, LaPorsha. I went to check on them tonight and she is fluffed up in the corner of the coop with egg white oozing out of her vent. Should I let her work it out for a bit or should I bring her in the house and soak her? She's been laying well for a few months. Eats layer feed not many scraps are given. Has oyster and egg shells free choice. It night time and it's about 37 degrees in the coop which is pretty warm in north Wisconsin.

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    That does not sound good at all l would at least bring her in soaking her might be a good idea

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would feel inside her vent for any remaining egg parts, such as shell or a membrane, and remove it. Make sure that she eats layer feed and has crushed oyster shell for free feeding. She may have had a thin shelled egg or a shell-less one break inside. This can be common, but it can later be a problem. Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis can be problems down the road. Some hens may lay thin-shelled eggs even though they are getting layer feed and extra calcium from crushed oyster shell. If they have had IB virus or suffered an injury to their shell gland, they may never lay a good hard shell. My ISA brown was attacked by a dog and injured. She recovered later, took a break from laying every day, but has always laid a soft shell egg ever since. Here is a good article about egg quality: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

4. HilldaleChicks

Sep 29, 2016
    Aniwa, WI
    I couldn't feel any shells last night. I gently pulled the broken egg membrane from her vent last night. She seems fine today. Is there still a possibility the yolk is in her and I should be worried?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is possible it was only a soft shelled, malformed egg that was stuck in her, since you can't feel any shells. One of my hens had a similar problem and was fine. If there was a yolk, it may have leaked out before you found the hen with white dripping from her vent. If the yolk is still in her, it could cause problems, but it is more likely that she'll be fine and next time she lays, what remains could be expelled with the new egg. I would just watch your hen closely for the next few days for any further symptoms/problems.

6. HilldaleChicks

Sep 29, 2016
    Aniwa, WI
    Ok thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by