EMERGENCY fly strike, advice on hard to reach maggots

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
Hen got fly strike. I got most of the maggots out. Pretty shallow, but there is a hole and at least 1 maggot is there (probably more). Any advice or tricks on how to get to them? Thank you

I’d rinse out with saline or iodine to clean it first, then try to peel away any dead skin. I had to deal with a bot fly in my dog ( not the same thing, I know, but still a hard to reach wormy thingy) and I used peroxide To kill it and make it come to the surface Of the wound. If you still can’t see the maggot(s) then get some tweezers and poke around in the wounds. After they’re all gone, cover in antibacterial ointment and wrap (I use horse bandages/wrap) and redress daily or when it gets dirty. The wrap will help to where the flies can’t go back in. Is it on her back, leg, booty? Lol let me rephrase that where is it on the hen?

I’d rinse out with saline or iodine to clean it first, then try to peel away any dead skin. I had to deal with a bot fly in my dog ( not the same thing, I know, but still a hard to reach wormy thingy) and I used peroxide To kill it and make it come to the surface Of the wound. If you still can’t see the maggot(s) then get some tweezers and poke around in the wounds. After they’re all gone, cover in antibacterial ointment and wrap (I use horse bandages/wrap) and redress daily or when it gets dirty. The wrap will help to where the flies can’t go back in. Is it on her back, leg, booty? Lol let me rephrase that where is it on the hen?
Thank you, hydrogen peroxide got them out. It is just below her vent.

Back
Top Bottom