Emergency Found Dead Automatic turner

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wayback, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Wayback

Wayback Just Hatched

Oct 27, 2016
    Southern, MD
    Hello, First time attempting to hatch Bobwhite eggs. Came home and found the turner has not been operating for at least 24 hours. The eggs have been in for 48hours at 35- 39% humidity at 100.5-101.6*. It appears the embrio (Thedarker area under candel) is on the side which was lower. Are there any worries this early in the process or is it time to start over.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You could manually turn the eggs several times a day, but I would wait for a week or so to candle them and see if there is any development first before giving up. I know very little about quail, so I would also go up to Forum, and scroll down to Other Backyard Birds and post on the quail forum as well. Good luck with your hatch.

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 - I'd start turning manually at least 3 times a day (and vary the turning direction) until you can get the autoturner working again. Turning is very important in the early stages of embryonic development to prevent abnormalities.

4. Wayback

Wayback Just Hatched

Oct 27, 2016
    Southern, MD
    Thanks for the replys; I have taken care of the problem with the turner. I will head over to the Quail forum and see if there is anyone whom has run into this problem befre. Just dont want to put 20 days into a non profit condition.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by