Emergency, fox got chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rkeyser, Jan 15, 2013.

1. rkeyser

rkeyser New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Okay, so just as I got home, I saw my flock flying over to where I was, I heard one of them screaming, so I ran to see what was the matter. I found a chicken in the mouth of a fox and I successfully scared it away. I got the hen (a buff banty cochin) and she isn't really bleeding too much, but rather she has an open wound. I sprayed the wound with Veterycyn and she is now in my lap. The wound is under her wing and about the sized of a nickel. Is there anything I can do? (please don't tell me to kill the fox, they are ironically my favorite animal...) The rest of my flock actually made it surprisingly, but what should I do for her, she is missing skin and a lot of feathers.

Thank You so much,
    R Keyser

P.s. I'm new to backyard chickens

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] OK, you can apply Neosporin to the wound - the kind without the pain relief additive. Put the hen in a warm dark place. She may be a little shocky. As long as she has no internal injuries, she should be fine. Skin wounds in chickens generally heal readily. About the fox - it will be back. If you want to keep your chickens you will have to keep them enclosed in a predator proof pen. Good luck. You may beforced to decide whether fox or chickens are your favorite animals.

1 person likes this.
  3. rkeyser

rkeyser New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you so much, Will do. We have a yak for livestock protection, and that usually suffices, but this was out of her range. Thanks again!

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tomorrow you may want to provide some electrolytes in the water for your hen. Also you may want to provide some pro biotics (yogurt will do). I understand that your yak may be good at protection, but understand that fox are very crafty. This time of year, if there is one it also has a mate in the area. They will double team the yak so that one can gain access to your birds. I have dealt with fox for a long time. I respect their capabilities.

1 person likes this.
  5. rkeyser

rkeyser New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Update:

She is eating and drinking still, and she is much more active. The wound seems to be healing fairly well... We are making sure that it stays clean and we have been giving her electrolytes and a vitamin supplement. Thank you so much for your help.

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good update. Glad that she is doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by