Emergency! Fox injury - how can I treat it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moosli, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Moosli

Moosli New Egg

May 7, 2012
    Sussex, UK
    Hello,

Last night the fox got my Silkie while she was free ranging but I managed to rescue her. She has a large puncture wound on the side of her breast where I can see right through to her intestines. She also has two puncture wounds on her back which look like they might heal, and has a few bare patches where her feathers were pulled out.
    I have put her in a cardboard box overnight in a quite room indoors; she's sitting on some wood chips with a clean tea towel on top so none find their way into the wound. Ok, so now her symptoms:
    She laid an egg (didn't know she had started laying!)
    She rested, but did not roost, or huddle up, which is how she usually sleeps
    Her wound is leaking watery liquid, but pinkish in colour. And worst of all, it smells.
    She hasn't eaten, but she was thirsty when I gave her some water with a syringe.

I live in the UK, so its hard for me to know from previous posts what home medication I might have that will help against the infection until I can take her to the vets first thing tomorrow morning. I wondered if putting some honey in her wound would do some good work. (The vet did that with my dog).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Marina

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Make sure to keep area clean. there is Blue kote for livestock to help treat for infections. Or over the counter antibiotic cream. Some people put honey over it. ( I havent tried that) There is another post where a dog took half of its skin ! and is doing well.

3. Moosli

Moosli New Egg

May 7, 2012
    Sussex, UK
    Thanks for that. Blue Kote is not something we can find here, and antibiotic creams are not over the counter here. Would a cortizone one help? Or a mild antifungal?

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    not sure about cortizone, I thought its for allergies. Make sure any cream will treat infections.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No, that might make it worse.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you get betadine in the UK?

7. Moosli

Moosli New Egg

May 7, 2012
    Sussex, UK
    Hello everyone,

Many thanks for your posts and responses. We got an antibacterial powder to put on the wounds and she had a drink but not much to eat.
    This morning I took her to the vets and he said that with having bites in her thorax, the chances are she'll get peritonitis, but as she's looking bright and strong we've put her on some antibiotics and I have to wash the wounds twice a day. She looks reasonably comfortable for now.
    If you're interested, I'll keep you posted on progress.

Many thanks.
    Marina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by