EMERGENCY!! got rid of hanging egg, vent still prolapsed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mener6896, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    *** UPDATE****

now that the egg is gone, she appears to have a prolapsed vent, does this correct itself or should I put her down?

Original message

I have a hen with what appears to be an egg hanging from her behind. It's covered with white stuff (poo?) and I'm not sure if this is considered being egg bound. I'm going to try to remove the egg,clean her up as best as possible, and put her in a pen by herself. I'm not sure what else I should do.

HELP!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have read that if it is hanging out that she is very bad off and may not make it. feeding her a bit of olive oil is something people do... as well as a warm bath. Do a search for egg bound before you remove it!!!!!!

3. mener6896

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here's what I'm dealing with

4. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
  5. mener6896

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I still need help...there is membrane attached to the egg, I'm not sure what to do about that... do I try to remove it from the shell?

6. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    anybody.?

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would put her in a warm bath and let her soak. Then put some mineral in the vent if possible. You can boil some water and a put a tea bag in it and hold her vent over the steam. Not too close, it can burn her badly. The tea will relax the vent muscles. Then maybe she can pass it on her own.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you can't get the membrane untwisted and reinserted with the egg you'll probably have to make a small incision in the membrane , gentley remove the egg thru the slit and then clean her up and try and reinsert the membrane.

9. mener6896

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I put her in a bath with epsom salt, the egg fell out. However, something is still hanging out, red tissue. I'm not too aware of chicken anatomy, but it appears to be part of her vent? I have her confined to a pen in the garage (heated) Will her body naturally suck it back in? I tried to clean her up as best as I could... I'm so sad, I hope now that the egg is gone that she will return to normal. I put some water/food in there, I'm not sure if this is good. She doesn't seem interested. She just stays there and doesn't move but I'm sure she's not feeling too well. my question is "will she make it?"

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you'll put some preperation H on her it will help with the swelling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by