emergency hatching queston - problem!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barnevelderbean, Sep 13, 2010.

1. barnevelderbean

barnevelderbean New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    middlesbrough
    hey guys, i have some wyandottes hatching right now...... but im really quite worried bout one of them. he had somehow managed to break a big hole in the shell, but not the membrane...... and has an hour later, managed to break nearly all of the shell off, all over the egg. so essentially what i have is a chick in a membrane. he's pushing, but not breaking that membrane. i peeled a little of it up, and the inner membrane is still well supplied with blood....... which makes me think he isnt quite ready to come out. i dont know what to do, this is a new one! should i see how he goes, or help him out? hes got himself in a real mess.
    sigh....... i really dont want him to die [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:If there's still lots of blood in the membrane, he needs to absorb it and isn't ready to hatch yet. Let him do his thing. He'll get where he needs to go. If he can break the shell, he can certainly release the membrane when he's ready. If you try to do it before it's time, it could be fatal.

3. barnevelderbean

barnevelderbean New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    middlesbrough
    i know........ i would prefer to just wait him out...... just needed someone else to say it! thanks. ill leave him to it. x

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    make sure the membrane stays moist or he will shrink wrap if your humidity is high that shouldnt be a problem otherwise wrap him in a wet paper towel

5. barnevelderbean

barnevelderbean New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    middlesbrough
    HE'S OUT! membrane chick rules! im so proud of him, lol........ all that worry and he knew what he was doing all along.
    thanks tho, i been breedig chicks for a long time with my dad, but he's away at the mo......and its good to know theres advice/support out there [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Congatulations!! [​IMG]

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious... did you do anything to keep him moist? If so, what did you do? How long did the "membrane" part of the hatch last?

Congratulations on "Membrane Chick"! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by