EMERGENCY HELP - 2 Goslings Sneesing/Coughing tonight

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ellenmartin, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    I moved them to their new barn stall bigger tonight and now that I can see/watch them better I noticed 2 of the goslings that are 5 weeks old are sneezing kinda, keep swallowing about every 10 seconds and are making a raspy noise now and then.

I have water in with them and always have - they drink all night long it seems. Are they drowning themselves?????

Don't konw if this is upper respitory or what I have never dealt with that before. I do know one is shaking his head and snorting every 10 - 30 seconds and the other is doing it too - kinda like a cough but maybe a sneeze?

Their old coop was small and enclosed and it was HOT here 99-101 plus during the day but they were outside and at night no breeze and 87 or so - I put a fan blowing in there hope I didn't give them a cold.

What should I do - they are 5 weeks old. Eating 20% mazzuri starter mixed with flockraiser and 14% maintenance pellets in there to get used to big pellets. They got a little fat on the corn lately sneaking it when I wasn't watching but I removed it 2 days ago so they have no access to it now.

What do I do about the coughy/sneezy sounding? They have never been medicated or anything - just out of the shell and put on starter. Free range during the day in and out of the pond and their pool since it's 100-101 and hot hot!!

Help - we've put 2-3 months 24/7 of laying/setting and raising them and I don't want anything to happen to them that's my fault or I could prevent/fix. Worried about them in their new barn - they don't like it, it's a new place and they're not comfortable there plus the sneezing/coughing thing I can't sleep!!

2. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? Is it a fungal thing? It's been damp here and then real dry... is it upper respitaory?

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I'm no expert, but since the coughing/sneezing started when you moved them, there might be something bad for them in the new place. I'm thinking some kind of fungus that gets in their lungs?

I don't think the fan is a good idea. It might whip up tiny particles that they then breathe in.

I know they should have access to water alle the time, and I've never heard of geese drowning themselves. How do you give the water? Do they get wet, or can they only drink and dunk their heads?

My Keld caught some kind of lung infection last year, when he was a gosling. I have no idea why. He also sneezed and coughed, he didn't eat, and he didn't preen himself. He couldn't walk for more than a few yards, then he'd get outwinded. I took him to the vet, and she prescibed Ronaxan Vet (Doxycyclin) 100 mg. for him, 1 pill every day for two weeks. He quickly felt better and seemed his old self within a few days, but I kept up the medication for the whole two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by