EMERGENCY HELP! *graphic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shawna89, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Shawna89

Shawna89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    I was picking up some butchering roosters and when I got home I realized one is still alive after having his neck wrung and his brain peirced! He acts very lethaqrgic and sad looking, I am not a good chicken killer but I need info on how to put this poor guy out of his misery. He looks to have brain trauma on the left side of his face so I believe he would eventually die but I hate to see the poor thing suffer. Besides all this I need to save his hide, I like to keep them. Any ideas???

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I am a sucker for a case like this, but I would put him out of his misery.
    JMO

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Finish him off by cutting this throat and process him. No need to let him suffer.

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    That is terrible! I guess you could get a really sharp knife and just cut his head off? When we got rid of our roos, we hung his feet up so he was upside down, and made a slit in its throat, it was quick, and the blood was drraining out of him. You could do that? Sorry I am not much help. I would definately talk to the people at the butchering place you went to, and get them to make sure they always kill them properly.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Easier if OP do it herself rather than driving all the way back to have them dispatch a roo.

Eventually a time or two she will face this ordeal when a bird needs to be put down.

6. Shawna89

Shawna89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    I cut throats once before and i did a terrible job. The husband is not home to do it for me, I could possibly remove the head. Has any ever tried possibly putting air in a syering and hitting his neck vein or is that a bad idea? I worked at a vet so I can hit the vein easily, but I just hope he will go pretty instantly.

7. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Just get an axe and chop his head off. quick and easy.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:You can but a painful way to see. Yes, Ive done that in vet class but it was for horses.

You can do it! Cut his neck. Get your inner courage, a different mindset saying "I need to do this for him. I do not want him to suffer!" Keep that mantra and stay focus on the purpose.

If you can not cut, use the broomstick method. Its quick!

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    at this point, any way you could kill him would probably be a blessing =/

if you can't deal with knives/axes, get a broom handle, hold the roo upside down and put his head/neck on the ground with the broom handle laid sideways right behind his skull. step down on the broom so that it stays put, and yank UP quickly and decisively on his legs. his neck should snap.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Hope the deed is done already. Seems the fate of the Roo was sealed as you picked them up for meat birds. Make it quick pick any way mentioned and take a quick shot of whiskey and it will be over in an instant... for you and the suffering fellow as well. Good luck! (to both of you)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by