emergency help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by linz44, Aug 22, 2016.

1. linz44

linz44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    I tthinK my hen is dying she's choking and flipping her head side to side. I see grain lodged in there I think. What do I do??

2. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    I opened her mouth and can't see grain now. She isn't walking just sitting on her butt actually. Wings dropping and eyes keep closing. Her crop is very small and I think she may have eaten rocks in her pen and they are stuck. Her head and neck is all puffed up and she looks like a puffy ball

3. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    Another update in case anyone has any ideas or info. I wasn't too specific earlier because I literally thought she was going to die. I got her to walk around and I also massaged her crop gently. I fed them this morning and changed their waterer and I was running late, so I did the feed and water and had to leave for an appointment so I did not notice her acting strange and I'm not sure if she ate normally or not. She is a hen I hatched myself which is a mixed breed and I haven't had any problems with this hen ever. I came home right at the time I frantically post with the hen acting not well. She wasn't making a sound earlier and didn't look normal at all. She did try to eat but I took the feed away from her when it looked like several pieces of feed pellets were stuck in her throat behind her beak right there on the underside. She ended up swallowing it and she was already acting bad before the grain got stuck. I didn't smell anything by her beak and I also looked inside and didmt see anything out of sorts there. After massaging her crop and getting her to drink some water she started moving around a bit better. I also gave her some tiny pieces of bread with olive oil on them because I read that it might help if they are impacted?? I didn't give her much at all. I was too scared to make the issue worse because of really not knowing what is happening with her. I just checked on her again and when she saw my flashlight she was peeping at me which she didn't do earlier at all. She isn't doing any weird swallowing or jerking of her neck side to side. However she is still very fluffed up with her neck pulled all the way in and all of her feathers around her chest and neck area puffed out. She was moving around much better and doesn't seem so out of balance like she was earlier. I'm hoping that she is better in the morning but only time will tell. She is up on her feet but still looks very strange. She is a very energetic hen usually running very fast circles around us with her wings out when we let her out of her pen to play with the kids. She is one of the best chickens I've ever had and I sure hope she doesn't die on me. I had one die last year of sour crop and I really hope not to loose another one. She is also penned up and couldn't have gotten into anything other then some small rocks from the pen. When she gets let out she is 100% supervised because she is still small and the big hens give her a hard time. Anyone who has suggestions or any info at all I would very much appreciate it! I just don't know what's wrong or what to do and I hate sitting back and hoping for the best!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing?

Chickens will eat small rocks for grit. They need this in order to grind/process foods so it can be digested.
    Some people provide poultry girt (crushed granite) while others let their chickens find small stones/rocks by digging in the soil.

How old is she?
    Inspect inside her beak to see if there is anything still inside the beak.

They can sometimes inhale food particles and choke.

Let us know how she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by