EMERGENCY; HELP REQUIRED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolyneT, Jan 28, 2014.

1. CarolyneT

CarolyneT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2013
    Swadlincote,UK
    ON SATURDAY MY CHICKEN WAS LIMPING ON ONE LEG, ON SUNDAY SHE COULD BARELY WALK, YESTERDAY AND TODAY SHE IS JUST SITTING IN THE COOP AND CAN NOT REALLY MOVE. SHE IS NOT WHEEZING, HER EYES ARE NORMAL AND CLEAR, BUT SHE WILL NOT EAT OR DRINK. I HAVE GIVEN HER WATER BY A SYRINGE AND TRIED HER WITH A BIT OF SCRAMBLED EGG. SYMPTOMS ARE LIKE MAREK'S, BUT SHE HAS BEEN VACCINATED. I AM GIVING HER ANTIBIOTICS, VITAMIN D AND HYPERICUM IN CASE IT IS MAREK'S.HELP PLEASE

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring her inside,keep her warm(when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp,so additional heat is required). Check the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot. Check both her legs for swelling,possible fracture/sprain. Check for a slipped tendon,to check for tendon run your thumbs down the back of her leg from where leg joins body(hock)to where scales start(shank)press down as you are doing this,see if you can feel slipped tendon,it will feel like an elastic band,when pressing down you can feel it snap back into place.

I believe birds vaccinated for Marek's can still contract disease,due to several factors some are:birds exposed too early after vaccine has been given,vaccine did not work or maybe chicken was not actually vaccinated(do you have confirmation that vaccine was in fact given).

She needs to eat/drink,especially drink as birds do become dehydrated very fast. Not eating may be a result of pain. Check for all of the above,then repost with findings. We will advise on appropriate care after we know if any of the above issues apply.

3. CarolyneT

Jul 5, 2013
    Swadlincote,UK
    I checked her legs and feet on Sunday, and they are all clear. I am keeping her hydrated. Unfortunately I cannot bring her in the house as I have Bengal cats and they would kill her. They have the run of the house as they are indoor cats, and my house isn't big enough to keep her separated, plus they can open doors

She is from a reputable seller, and I just came off the phone to him. He buys all his birds vaccinated, although it is possible that she slipped through, or it didn't work for her

4. CarolyneT

Jul 5, 2013
    Swadlincote,UK
    Since my last post; my chicken has been hand given vitamins, hypercium, anti-biotics, baby ibuprofen and soaked pellets. Every two days she has a warm bath with epsom salts to sooth and to clean. She is now getting so she really doesn't want me to give her any food and she is showing no sign of improvement (it has been 11 days).

Is it time to let her go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by