Emergency, Help, Ricky Cant Breath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lacrystol, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ricky is gasping for air, then he makes this coughing type of noise. What should I do???.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Have you wormed him? Could be worms. Also, could be a respiratory infection. I'd get him on antibiotics. Lastly, check his crop and make sure he doesn't have sour crop. Squeeze his crop and smell his breath. If it smells sour, he has sour crop. If this is the case, you need to separate him from food for atleast 24 hours. Give him water and you need to administer Apple Cider Vinegar in a syringe. About 1/4 tsp every 6-8 hours and massage his crop in a downward motion. Something could be blocking his crop from moving downward. Good luck.

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I posted a video it's not the best but he has been wormed..

4. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    That looks like crop impaction to me, but I could be wrong. Check his crop and then squeeze it. When he gasps, smell his breath(I know, gross). Does it smell sour? If so, sour crop!

5. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Also, what did you worm him with? That could also be gape worms. They are worms that crawl up into the trachea, and make it hard to breathe and will kill the bird if not treated. There's specific kinds of wormer for this and not all wormers work.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    He didn't smell at all, went into these convulsions and BOOM, died.. My Ricky has just died...

7. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Awwwwwwwwww I am so very sorry. How terribly sad. At least he didn't suffer for days poor baby.

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ricky first we treated him with Wazine, then sulfaminethoxine, then Amprol, about a couple of months ago. Last week he was treated with ivermetic. The entire coop got cleaned and scrubbed down with Oxine.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    He was my absolute FAVORITE. OH MY GOD, I can't stop crying. This is so horrible....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by