Emergency!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zaxby's2, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    My broody BO hen just got killed by a dog, and now I have two chicks and no incubator or brooder or anything! One of them is ingured and can't move it's leg, and right now I have them in a container by a window so the sun can get them some warmth. What do I do! Help!!!!!!!!!!

2. abengel

abengel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Long Island
    It's easy to make a brooding box with any plastic storage container, wood shavings, and a red heat bulb with refractor. ( The reptile bulbs work well, some of the red heat lamp bulbs they sell for chicks are too hot.) A trip to your local farm store for the refractor (looks like a dome, also available at home depot), chick mash, feeder, waterer, and shavings, and petco for the bulb should have you all set up. New babies need around 95 degrees, decreasing around 5 degrees each week. Keep a thermometer in the box with chicks and adjust height of lamp to adjust heat. Shallow water dish with stones prevents drowning. It means a few dollars and some running around, but is worth it. Hope this is not too late...

3. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Zaxby's2 :

My broody BO hen just got killed by a dog, and now I have two chicks and no incubator or brooder or anything! One of them is ingured and can't move it's leg, and right now I have them in a container by a window so the sun can get them some warmth. What do I do! Help!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no I am so sorry... have you a box and lamp that you could use... even if it is a desk lamp to keep them warm as people use them, just keep checking on the temp of the chicks... I hope your little chicks are ok.. I would put a thread on the emergency page about the chicks leg...​

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Thanks! They are now in a dog crate with a heat pad set to medium. Is there anything else I can do?

5. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Zaxby's2 :

Thanks! They are now in a dog crate with a heat pad set to medium. Is there anything else I can do?

As long as they have food (chick crumb) and water (in a drinker or bowl with marbles or pebbles to prevent drowning) and they are warm and cosy then they will be fine.. Great job.. I am so sorry about mummy hen.. evil dog grrrrrrrrrrrr I had a dog kill my best hen not so long back and its awful.. I am so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by