Emergency: Hen Attacked by Predator, Need Help and Advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MiniMax32, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MiniMax32

MiniMax32 New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Our coop was attacked last night by a predator, one chicken totally devoured, and the other hen, Calgon, injured. She is acting lethargic, one eye will not open, the other parcially does, but is often closed. She also has puss coming out above the eye that is sealed shut, and even though I cannot find any cuts on her throat or holes in her skull, she sometimes makes a wheezing noise and does and strange licking motion with her beak. Her beak is partally open constantly now too. I have attached pictures below. Will this chicken make it? And Can she survive half blind? Advice on how I could help this chicken possibly recover. Thank you so much.

Dustin[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MiniMax32

MiniMax32 New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Update: If I put her mouth to water, she will drink, but she will not eat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3. Sarah42

Sarah42 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    If you use the larger pellets, I'd suggest trying to give her some crumble feed. It may just be too painful to swallow with her head and beak area so mutilated. Also, if the eye is infected, an antibiotic of sorts is needed. Taking her to the vet is the best option. Allowing the infection to fester in the eye is not only uncomfortable, but dangerous as it could spread too other areas and cause death quite swiftly. The comb and face area also look to be at risk for severe infection. You could try gently cleaning the area with chicken-safe soap tonight to clean the wounds. Otherwise, this is definitely a vet visit.

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I had rooster that looked exactly like the photos you posted! Keep her inside because it's cleaner and flies may lay maggots in the rotting flesh! Wash her eye out with warm water and on any sores other than her eye put some ant-bacterial or anti-fungel keep her away from insects such as ants and I was thinking since she's drinking put some brewers yeast in her water because it will add protein and help make up for the food she's not eating! Maybe even add some juice or flour too! And if she starts eating make sure she gets the fattiest food possible to make up for her weight loss!

Hope this is helpful!

Collingwood

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. collingwood

Oh and make shore she isn't in any moist damp conditions and if it's hot where you live put her feet in water and give her feathers a trim!

good luck

Collingwood

6. collingwood

If you're lucky she'll make it just do what I said and please make sure you ask as many questions as possible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by