Emergency! Hen struggling to breathe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UbDucks, Feb 6, 2017.

1. UbDucks

UbDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    Old English Game bantam hen, very sudden onset, appears to be respiratory illness.

She is wheezing/gasping with each breath, head and neck thrown back with beak open. Gave her injection of 1/4 cc Tylan 50 about an hour ago but did not get it all in (First time giving a shot).

We had another chicken with a respiratory illness last week, she cleared up after 3 days/3 shots Tylan, but that one didn't have the wheezing and gasping.

I will take her to the vet in the morning, but I'm worried about her making it through the night since it seems like she is struggling to get air. Is there anything else I can do right now? (We have a flock of 18, but this particular chicken is a very special pet).

Can she last the night in this state? Thank you for any help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you try to give the Tylan orally? Give the whole dose a drop at a time, and repeat it first thing in the morning. Let us know what the vet has to say. Many of the respiratory diseases can be contagious and make carriers of the flock Keep her warm in case she is chilling, and make sure there is good air circulation.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by