Emergency! I have a juvenile Blue Sumatra who acts like it can't swallow.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janieannie, Aug 1, 2016.

1. janieannie

janieannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Butler, Kentucky
    I gave it a quarter tsp. mineral oil. Thought it was getting better, but acting like it's trying to swallow again. It's getting weaker & falls over. It stands straight up & moves it's head back & forth, then falls over. What can I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the pullet? Can you give her some electrolyte water, such as SaveAChick? How does the crop feel--empty, full, hard or puffy? Impacted crop can be serious, and flushing the crop with water is best. Could she have choked on the oil? Massage her crop if it is full, and push the water, by dipping her beak or giving it with a syringe. There is a good thread on tube feeding, "go team tube feeding," if you do a search at the top of the page or Google it. Tube feeding can give a lot of fluids to help flush out the crop. You can also do a search on impacted and sour crop treatment, and look for Two Crows articles.

3. janieannie

janieannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Butler, Kentucky
    The mineral oil seems to have done the job. I massaged her throat. After about an hour she was eating & drinking & acting normally. She's doing great now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by