Emergency!!! I Have A Quail Down! Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ravenzero, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    [​IMG]

I came home to find one of my female quails was lying on her side, and did not want or cant get up.

Picture above is from moments ago, i took her out of the pen from the others and layed her down on the ground, she didnt get up even then. She seems alert, just unable to stand. Whats wrong with her? Help!!!!!!

2. NOVICE here. Obviously not a good situation. Make sure temp is stable around her. Give her some water with apple cider vinegar diluted of course. You'll need to dilute to at least 10 / 1 I think. If she can get some water it should help. Some soft food. Seperate her and keep an eye on her. They are small fragile birds it actually doesn't take much to make them really sick. I wish you the best.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It could be a heat stroke. Put her in a "hospital cage" and give her distilled water (just in case there was a toxicity of some kind).

4. ravenzero

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    not heat stroke, live in portland and weather is 55 degrees

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Can she move her legs? Will she grasp your finger with her feet? Do both legs and hips feel the same? Any other symptoms?

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    look for any visable injuries.

do you have a quarentene area? an empty fish or bird cage? seperate her, give some water and maybe some smashed hardboiled eggs. and wait. I had one become egg bound last year, she finally got it out after 3 days of misery.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:My next diagnosis is a toxicity. I lost a hen to salt toxicity. First symptom was paralysis. I removed feed and gave her distilled water.

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Feel the abdomen, is it swollen? I also had a hen do this, and she just had an impacted egg. I massaged and gently put into warm water, she laid the egg the next day and apparently went on to bigger and better things in the quail world. (Unless she doesn't respond with her feet, then maybe she's paralyzed because of some other issue.) Did she bump her head or anything that could have hurt her spine?

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    My best guess is boinking. She jumped up and hit her head in the pen. What ever it is, I would put her in a pen by herself because coturnix do not walk around anything they can stomp over.I wish you the best, but serious boinking is generally fatal.

10. ravenzero

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Quote:no, she doesnt grasp with her feet legs dont feel broken and hips feel fine.

I have her in the shed, seperated with water and food, but she isnt moving much aside from her head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by