1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emergency! I think babys cord from the yolk sac is stuck to him "pics"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 17, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    He is 3 days old and my mom told me she thinks i should bring him inside and he does look weak and i tried to wetten to hoping it would fall off cause i think its stuck to his butt and he cant poop or pee and [​IMG] i droped him when trying to wetten it and it looked like he was peeping but nothing was coming out i feel horrible and he can barely stand without stumbing or falling over heres a picture

Edit: its not the yolk cord the feathers had matted toegether with poop that dried and i think made a butt plug im hoping that was the issue
    and i had to take down the pictures i couldnt stand to look at them

I have been wanting to hatch out a white rock crossed with a RIR forever to get the amber-links please help me save him/her! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Umbilical area is below the vent, between the legs. Sounds like you're dealing with pasty butt. You were right to wash it off. Keep it clear, so he/she can poop and it will resolve itself.

3. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:i hope so he/she was out in the brooder for 2 days so no telling how long he/she has had this

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Bring him in so you can watch and check several times a day.
    Make sure to wash off area when poop shows up (baby wipes work well if it is just a little poop)
    If it is more stuck, then you can make a small bowl or warm water...soak him for a few minutes them remove poop....sometimes if the fluff is really matted bad, you may have to trim the fluff off, (but mak sure to be careful not to cut the little guy)......Then blow dry him really well (low setting) and put him back to bed [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

5. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah i have him inside here inside my bedroom in the tub brooder wrapped in a wash cloth trying to keep him warm and i have the light turned on but i really dont think he/she is going to make it he/she cant even peep thats how weak he/she is and when he does beep you can hear his beak clinking he/she is soo very weak right now

6. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Make sure you have a heat lamp where he is laying...
    You can give him infant Ply v sol (without iron) and make him warm scrambled eggs with buttermilk

7. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    feed a baby chick its own kind with buttermilk ? lol i think i may just have to cut away the dried feathers where it was matted cause it is kind of sticking to him/her again but i can see his butt though its not blocking the butt hole its just stuck to his/her rear

8. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    feeding it eggs sounds bad to you, but it is full of nutrients that will help it feel better.....funny or not, it has worked for me and many many many more [​IMG]

9. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Im sorry to say he/she died a few minutes ago

10. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I am so sorry..... Poor little chick...must of been backed up a while [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by